Search the forum,

Discuss Should we stay clear of B&Q tiles? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

D

Daywalker

Re: Should we stay clear of b+q tiles

I try to stay clear of b&q stuff Bathroom suites and tiles its just a convinence store that garantees your money back :thumbsup: .

Q

quick draw macgraw

Hi Chille

i hope its not tub stuff cos its all floor work mate apparently its for porch, dining room, kitchen and utility. Would 12mm ply be sufficient if it is uncalibrated slate?
Dont want to turn up and say 12mm will do and then change mind later and tell him its 18 thats needed. Would look as if i dont know what i'm talking about.

Cheers Steve.

W

wetdec

There are 2 catagories to b&q tiles this is where you get some saying they are good and some say they are crap.

B&Q buy off Johnsons and Pilks and Pilks do their stone these are the good comment tiles.

B&Q are part of Castorama who are huge in europe and as such buy cheap ceramics in Spain, Italy these are the soft biscuit tiles that are called crap

Also now buying in china where their large profile porcelain is comming from

They probably source others bu these are the majority of their range

tiler

T

tilermandan

been working with b&q tiles this week too and found the best way to overcome disscrepancy issue was to leave the spacer pegs in the van! armed with a good quality high grab adhesive and a level, i put them up that way and found it a lot easier to do and once grouted they looked fine.

NickH

TF
Reaction score

Half way through a bathroom with B+Q tiles but these were 29 quid a metre and are spot on, very nice to fix. I would guess its the really cheap stuff thats the problem.

C

chille

!2mm ply will be ok Steve, but I much prefer hardibacker. B&Q do a tubbed floor adhesive as do Dunlop, I did a bathroom for Micky Adams the then Leicester City manager, the builder had supplied all materials and the floor addy was dunlop tubbed flexi, it was horrid, we layed the floor and it just wasn't grabbing so we took it up and layed using Bal powdered needless to say it was then spot on :thumbsup:

The reason I mentioned the customer is cause I'm a Leicester lad and wanted this job in particular to be perfect (thinking of some free VIP tickets) but he didn't last long soon got the sack :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
W

wetdec

Half way through a bathroom with B+Q tiles but these were 29 quid a metre and are spot on, very nice to fix. I would guess its the really cheap stuff thats the problem.

As I said :yes:

Q

quick draw macgraw

Hi,

Been to look at the job and its 35m2 with b+q slate effect ceramics 330x330 going onto concrete (there are some vinyl tiles that could come up in half the room) and then into kitchen where floorboards meet concrete, he has 6mm ply already would this be ok for these tiles although i generally use 12mm, if 12mm was to be used there would be large step going from kitchen into utility.
The adhesive he has is unibond rapidset 20kg x 5 which states 8m2 per bag!(could i use my wall trowel on the floor) and 5kg x 8 bags of unibond quick set grout but states on bag needs flexi additive on wood which he hasn't got so would it be easier to take grout back and use flexible on whole floor?
The wall is 6.6m2 straight forward.

how much for this job considering i'm in full time employment and cant do full day rates do i just go off m2? sorry its a long one. Was thinking of £150 day rate for wall and £15 m2 for floor including laying ply £525 does this sound ok.

Steve.

D

Dave Carr

Poor quality tiles require more labour time to fix in an aesthetically pleasing manner; sorting sizes etc, so I always inform the customer of this before they buy the tiles. Then I use large spacers to allow for the crapness of their quality control.

Where possible I use pegs instead of spacers, allows more flexibility with poor quality tiles

Cheers,

Dave

D

DEN

So can anyone say with reasonable confidence,that the more pricier tiles from b+q are worth buying or in the main just stay clear of them!!!

Reply to Should we stay clear of B&Q tiles? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen