Search the forum,

Discuss Should I Use A Primer? in the Tile Adhesive / Grout Advice area at TilersForums.com.

F

feral

Hi, will be tiling my bathroom and am wondering if I need to use a primer? Most of the bathroom is painted plaster, so will score the walls and sand those areas before tiling. The other area around the bath already has tiles, and will be removing those. I am using Mapei Kerequick adhesive, but am not sure if I need to prime the walls before applying the adhesive or not. And if so…which primer should I use? Have looked on Lilley & Stone and they have a few, but it's a bit confusing. Any guidance much appreciated! :)

H

hmtiling

Defo primer!
I'd be using an acrylic one such as weber pr360 but probably best to stick with the same brand so go with eco prim t.

J

J Sid

I believe your chosen tile will probably be to heavy for a plastered wall, let alone a painted wall.
I would be stripping all areas to be tiled right out and reboarding, or over boarding.

You will many that are happy to just prime and tile :(

F

feral

thank you - i have 8mm porcelain…i just looked it up, and it's borderline :/ no one explained about weight and suitability of what they are being attached to when i bought them, guess i should have researched a little better.

O

Old Mod

thank you - i have 8mm porcelain…i just looked it up, and it's borderline :/ no one explained about weight and suitability of what they are being attached to when i bought them, guess i should have researched a little better.
Actually, I think it's the retailer who should point out suitability of substrates, especially if they are purely a tile retailer.

Reply to Should I Use A Primer? in the Tile Adhesive / Grout Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I've got an AKW Tuff form shower tray with a waste that is 10mm above the tray when fully...
Replies
Views
Hi, I am planning on tiling my concrete garage floor with porcelain tiles. The concrete was laid...
Replies
Views
https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill...
Replies
Views
Hi, I‘ve just finished tiling the majority of my garden path. Base is concrete, and tiles are...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I am planning to tile a full height panel of split face tiles to sit 3” behind a log...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen