Search the forum,

Discuss Should I Use A Primer? in the Tile Adhesive / Grout Advice area at TilersForums.com.

F

feral

Hi, will be tiling my bathroom and am wondering if I need to use a primer? Most of the bathroom is painted plaster, so will score the walls and sand those areas before tiling. The other area around the bath already has tiles, and will be removing those. I am using Mapei Kerequick adhesive, but am not sure if I need to prime the walls before applying the adhesive or not. And if so…which primer should I use? Have looked on Lilley & Stone and they have a few, but it's a bit confusing. Any guidance much appreciated! :)

H

hmtiling

Defo primer!
I'd be using an acrylic one such as weber pr360 but probably best to stick with the same brand so go with eco prim t.

J

J Sid

I believe your chosen tile will probably be to heavy for a plastered wall, let alone a painted wall.
I would be stripping all areas to be tiled right out and reboarding, or over boarding.

You will many that are happy to just prime and tile :(

F

feral

thank you - i have 8mm porcelain…i just looked it up, and it's borderline :/ no one explained about weight and suitability of what they are being attached to when i bought them, guess i should have researched a little better.

O

Old Mod

thank you - i have 8mm porcelain…i just looked it up, and it's borderline :/ no one explained about weight and suitability of what they are being attached to when i bought them, guess i should have researched a little better.
Actually, I think it's the retailer who should point out suitability of substrates, especially if they are purely a tile retailer.

J

J Sid

Boarder line onto perfect plaster with no paint. Who can tell how well the plaster was fix ?
Don't risk it. Do it once and do it right. ;)

T

Tile Shop

Plaster should come off first unles you can screw through to a substantial surface behind.

Without screws, you're relying on the plaster to hold the weight of the board, the tiles and 2 layers of adhesive.

So now we need to know, whats behind the plaster?

F

feral

thanks, i believe it is either brieze block or brick - all solid walls i.e. not stud walls. the flat was built in 1953 so it's pretty solid construction.

Reply to Should I Use A Primer? in the Tile Adhesive / Grout Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

10 Tiling Tips for Fixing Tiles to Bathroom Walls = From UKTilingForum.co.uk There are a few...
Replies
Views
Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen