Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss Should I have used SBR to prime on top of floor levelling compound in the Australia area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

R

RWB

Hi all,

I've been reading all your helpful advice to everyone, so after tearing my hair out for most of the day thought I would sign up. Please could someone clarify if I should've used Cementone SBR on top of a self levelling latex floor compound. I originally stripped the old kitchen floor and all signs of adhesive etc. I then used SBR to prime and seal before applying the self levelling compound. This was down for a week and got a little dusty etc, so I decided to prime with SBR again. My initial reason for doing this was to stop the water getting sucked out of the adhesive (probably a stupid reason I guess). I used a 1 part water, 1 part SBR mix. The issue I have is that some areas seem to have formed a skin. Not massive areas, just the odd 3 or 4 inch patch here and there. I'm wondering if I shouldn't have used the SBR, or whether my mix was not diluted enough, thus leaving me with a bit of rubberising here and there due to it not sinking in. I plan to use a cement based adhesive over this, but am now worried as to whether I should try and remove the SBR, or maybe pour more self leveller over it and then tile directly onto that.

sorry for the immediate request for advice. I'm just at a loss as to what to do.

cheers
Rich

R

RWB

Cheers for the quick response. I knew deep down I had messed up, so have nearly finished sanding it all off now. Will start tiling tomorrow. Thank you both for your advice, I won't bother priming this time, if only I'd done the 4:1 mix in the first place, a waste of a day.

cheers again,

Rich

Reply to Should I have used SBR to prime on top of floor levelling compound in the Australia area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Apatel
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks