Search the forum,

Discuss Remember your first full time wage packet in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

Reaction score
Summer of 1976 £16 pounds for Woods and sons of Bedford, where i started as an apprentice plasterer, i had to give my mum £10 for my keep so i had a whole £6 pounds left to myself , Beer/petol was very cheap then, nearly four pints for a £, and petrol to run my fizzy DX50cc, LOL them were the days . How about you ?

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
1982 £25 started for mj lavenders used to fit vynal tiles and carpets on the building sites and he took the tiling on as a side line. Had some old guy been tiling for years and he wanted a trainee and I got the job..

Stay there for 4years then took over some of the sites with the guy who trained me.....built the business up to where we were employing 10 tilers. Till the recession in the late 80 early 90 hit.....but thats a whole different story. .

J

jonnyc

1977 airport courier services. £ 35.00 per week plus all the profits from bringing in alchohol/ cigs and cigars and selling on .
acs was the first overseas courier service in uk well before tnt and dhl etcc.
we used to fly out of heathrow every day to a different city or two in the world and deliver letters pacakages/newsreel by hand .
best trip i had was flying to los angeles to pick upa toothbrush from warren beatty house. i then flew back to stockholm and took a boat out to an island to deliver .ridiculous waste of his money!!

M

Mr Tiler

£2.50 per hour when I was 15 throwing bits of plastic into a mill and bagging it up not the worst job I ever had but it was the lowest paying

P

Perry

1968 £5 a week 7 days a week 13 hr days 6 days Sunday was only 11 hours. Working for my old man ,in a shop.

O

On one

£15 a week on a Yops scheme.in 82. Made a further£10 a week on the transport subsidy and hitched the 12 miles home!

P

Peter

First year apprentice, £20 from my boss and £40 from the tech plus a £10 travel allowance, in September 2003. 70 quid went quite far when I had £15 housekeep, didn't drink or smoke and £2.50-£3 filled the tank of my Honda MT50 for a week. Used to manage to save about £40 a week. :lol:

Christmas 2003 the boss gave me a pay rise to £25. Felt like an international drug smuggler.

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
1985 for me... £53.75 working in a men's fashion shop... I don't get much more than that now!

Reply to Remember your first full time wage packet in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all! Just wondering what the best advice is for book-keeping? Been self employed now for a...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen