Currently reading:
Remember your first full time wage packet

Search the forum,

Discuss Remember your first full time wage packet in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Gloucester
1982 £25 started for mj lavenders used to fit vynal tiles and carpets on the building sites and he took the tiling on as a side line. Had some old guy been tiling for years and he wanted a trainee and I got the job..

Stay there for 4years then took over some of the sites with the guy who trained me.....built the business up to where we were employing 10 tilers. Till the recession in the late 80 early 90 hit.....but thats a whole different story. .

J

jonnyc

1977 airport courier services. £ 35.00 per week plus all the profits from bringing in alchohol/ cigs and cigars and selling on .
acs was the first overseas courier service in uk well before tnt and dhl etcc.
we used to fly out of heathrow every day to a different city or two in the world and deliver letters pacakages/newsreel by hand .
best trip i had was flying to los angeles to pick upa toothbrush from warren beatty house. i then flew back to stockholm and took a boat out to an island to deliver .ridiculous waste of his money!!

W

WetSaw

1977 Pudney & Sims, Kenley. Apprentice mechanic for Fiat and Lancia franchise. £9 pw, 2 days a week college, one theory one practical. Qualified after 5 years and was on £55 pw. We had a petrol forecourt and all the fuel for my FS1E and Puch Grand Prix Special was put down as spillages. My brother was a telegram boy at the post office earning £102 pw! The garage was struggling and there were rumours of redundancy. I had already applied to the post office and been offered a job when redundancy came so I was lucky.

Sean Kelly

TF
Arms
Ruislip
1982 I was on the YOP scheme. Pretty sure it was £25 a week. I was learning computer/typing/office skills at BOC (British Oxygen Company) Hammersmith. Got a placement at Cable & Wireless in Holborn for about £96 a week. Only worked there for 25 years when some 'Richard Head' director decided to shift the whole IT operations to India.

Then started my first tiling job on the building sites of East London for £40 a day!!!!!

J

jonnyc

Started a plumbing and heating apprenticeship, £5 a week with national insurance deducted which was 57p and then £2 to me mum which left me with £2.43 for the week which lasted the apprenticeship did'nt, I was 15 at the time and that was back in 71.
that sounds a bit stingy . where were you working then and where do you live now in herts .
i went to school in herts and liked the area

W

White Room

that sounds a bit stingy . where were you working then and where do you live now in herts .
i went to school in herts and liked the area

It was a small company, no site work as such but big houses out in the country locally....the school was called Bennets End Secondary modern in Hemel Hempstead but changed the name to Longdean, think they went all posh. [MENTION=15118]jonnyc[/MENTION]

PJC went to the same school.

J

jonnyc

ok i know hemel hempstead a little as i went to school with owners of stoneage stone who have a yard at boxtsed farm near hemel and i go there from time to time.
I went to school at haileybury college hertford heath which is a fair way from you but have done a few jobs near hemel in recent times through recommendations . some nice country houses out that way.
pjc and i have been threatening to meet up last few years as i have an ongoing job near him .

W

White Room

ok i know hemel hempstead a little as i went to school with owners of stoneage stone who have a yard at boxtsed farm near hemel and i go there from time to time.
I went to school at haileybury college hertford heath which is a fair way from you but have done a few jobs near hemel in recent times through recommendations . some nice country houses out that way.
pjc and i have been threatening to meet up last few years as i have an ongoing job near him .

Is the farm near Bovingdon....

P

Perry

I remember Boxstead road in Hemel.

J

jonnyc

second job i had 1978 was selling apple doughnuts on the beaches of south of france between st raphael and le lavendou. paid by commssion. was earning about £ 40.00 per week before the beaches got overrun with sellers.3 months till end of summer on campsite and then the first of the grape picking in s france followed by bordeaux and on. if you had enough dosh it was india for the winter .
if not then kibbutz in israel.
i have counted 105 jobs i did from age of 18 over 7 year period travelling the world and when i came back 1985 I had no idea what i would do . my travelling mate walked past what was then the only fired earth shop in london and we decided to be tilers with no experience at fixing at all.
was a big struggle but have stuck at it but i can honestly say that if there was not interesting tiles like slate and terracotta to fix like fired earth had i would not have lasted a year.

M

m3fitter

1986.. first wage packet.. Bracknell Roofing as a lad, ( loading out all day off a ladder in 8's ! ) £25.00 a day, progressed to £40.00 a day after a year :), 1989 then discovered an easier way of tiling by the time I was 18.. on an impressive £45.00 a day, but for 2 tilers, knocking up their sticky, loading out for them and grouting up everything they did !! wasn't allowed to use the wet cutter until I could nip an L shape out :-( 1992 Germany.. alf wiedersen pet style up to £80.00 a day !! 7am - 7pm 6 days a week.. errr then I went on my own..

Reply to Remember your first full time wage packet in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.

Advertisement