Currently reading:
Remember your first full time wage packet

Search the forum,

Discuss Remember your first full time wage packet in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

F

Fliselege

1986.. first wage packet.. Bracknell Roofing as a lad, ( loading out all day off a ladder in 8's ! ) £25.00 a day, progressed to £40.00 a day after a year :), 1989 then discovered an easier way of tiling by the time I was 18.. on an impressive £45.00 a day, but for 2 tilers, knocking up their sticky, loading out for them and grouting up everything they did !! wasn't allowed to use the wet cutter until I could nip an L shape out :-( 1992 Germany.. alf wiedersen pet style up to £80.00 a day !! 7am - 7pm 6 days a week.. errr then I went on my own..

Did you get your brown envelope in the Crown Wood every Friday evening? Car park was full of B R motors every Friday back in the day.
My 1st wage pack £52 for 2 weeks at the new Tesco's at Martins Heron in '87.

T

TJ Smiler

ok i know hemel hempstead a little as i went to school with owners of stoneage stone who have a yard at boxtsed farm near hemel and i go there from time to time.
I went to school at haileybury college hertford heath which is a fair way from you but have done a few jobs near hemel in recent times through recommendations . some nice country houses out that way.
pjc and i have been threatening to meet up last few years as i have an ongoing job near him .

Haileybury College..... My girlfriend works there. Don't know if it was when you were going there mate (no offence lol) but it is now a private school, think it cost about thirty odd grand a year to send your nippers there. She says it's a great school though. Small world eh?

T

TJ Smiler

Left school (well, got expelled) in 89 and got a job in a t-shirt warehouse, was paid about 90 quid a week. Used to love getting that brown envelope every Friday. Joined the Royal Green Jackets in 92 an got £430 a month, obviously all accommodation and food etc were taken care of so felt like a load of money to me then. When we were away from home we got paid extra and of course you can't spend any money in a big field lol so when we got home i would have bundles in the bank.... Remember being in Norway for five months and came home to nearly £5000 in the bank, blew the bloody lot on a holiday with the boys to Spain and one of them massive music stack systems JVC...... Great days but hindsight hindsight hindsight young man, give me 5 grand now and it would be so different

J

jonnyc

Haileybury College..... My girlfriend works there. Don't know if it was when you were going there mate (no offence lol) but it is now a private school, think it cost about thirty odd grand a year to send your nippers there. She says it's a great school though. Small world eh?
It's always been private.my father sent me there as a boarder because he and other relatives went there before him.
think I am probably the only tiler to have ever come from there!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
J

jonnyc

what does your wife do at haileybury for work.
interesting to see that you have military background.
haileybury has always been very orientated towards military.
it used to be the imperial services college as you will know.
proudly we have 18 victoria crosses and only beaten by eaton and harrow .
i am quite proud of fact that i managed to fire a groy( butter pat ) and get it to stick to the ceiling of our dining room ceiling which is still i beleive the largest unsupported dome in uk.
this is quite a feat and involved alot of fork bending and hardening .
i trust your wife does not have to deal with foreign matter stuck to the dome which my my memory must be at least 20 mts high

Reply to Remember your first full time wage packet in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.

Advertisement