Search the forum,

Discuss Reducing floor thickness with UFH in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

D

DHTiling

Hi Nell

I would sugest as you have the boards removed you do the following which will keep your height down :

Remove all existing boards.

Insulate between joists

Install an underfloor heating film (not a surface cable)

Overboard with 18/22mm Ply wood

Lay Dura-CI wetroom tanking / uncoupling membrane found HERE

Fix tiles and grout when thoroughly dry.

Tiler:thumbsup:

Hi tony..

Can't say i have heard of this system.....is it similar to the under laminate one..?

and i thought you have to leave ventilation under timber floors...? when tiling and UFH..

A bit more info on this system might help the member ...cheeeeeeeeers..:thumbsup:

W

wetdec

A complete electric underfloor heating solution for new build - Suspended Timber Floors.

A Unique Under Floor Heating System that is installed under the floor, between the timber joists to provide either primary heat or supplementary heat in new build projects. To achieve the best results, insulation must be installed below the heating element.

The result is a warm, dry which is maintenance free and has a reduced installation height

Quick Installation

The film element for this type of wooden floor application should have a maximum heating effect of 90W/m . The maximum floor temperature should be controlled by an effective floor temperature sensor to a temperature recommended by the flooring manufacturer, usually 27 C. Particle chipboard flooring is recommended for installation over Ecofilm elements. Care should be taken when Pine T&G boarding flooring is used as some stability problems may occur. An un-coupling membrane should be used when tiling onto any wooden sub floor to prevent cracking caused by latteral movement.

floor-film.gif

Available in 3 widths; 300, 400 and 600mm to match joist centres. The product is perforated along the 50mm clear edge. This allows the border to be bent to a right angle (90 deg) to allow attachment to the joist when installing, Maintain a 40mm space between the perforation and the top edge of the joist. The element should be attached with staples to the wooden joists.

Hows that ............

Last edited by a moderator:

pjrich

TF
TF Official Sponsor
Reaction score
To comply with the 17th edition IET wiring regulations the heating film would have to covered with an earth shield / grid. Extract Below

753.411.3.2 RCDs with a rated residual operating current not exceeding 30mA shall be used as disconnecting devices. In the case of heating units which are delivered from the manufacturer without exposed-conductive-parts, a suitable conductive covering, for example, a grid with a spacing of not more than 30mm, shall be provided on site as an exposed-conductive-part above the floor heating elements or under the ceiling heating elements, and connected to the protective conductor of the electrical installation.

I have spoken (at length) to the NICEIC about this and have confirmed that if a flooring system is not supplied with an earth shield integeral the to heating, then a seperate earth grid must be installed.

These regulations only came in to force on the 1st July 2008.

I have spoken to a few manufacturers / suppliers of carbon film heating and ,as yet, none have advised me of a solution for providing the necessary earth grid.

If anyone knows of a solution I would be very interested to hear it.

Peter

D

DHTiling

Cheers peter...Has the 17th edition altered anything to do with standard mat or loose wire systems..?.... by that i mean fixers are still ok to install as long as no connection is done ....no change to that then......?

My son is a sparky but hasn't looked into that bit yet....

pjrich

TF
TF Official Sponsor
Reaction score
Dave,

The main points of Section 753 - Floor and Ceiling Heating Systems are:-

1) Must be protected by a 30mA RCD
2) Heating must have integeral earth or be covered with earth grid.
3) Max operating temp must be 80deg C, floor surface must not exceed 35deg C.
4) Heating cables, etc must comply with BS 6351
5) Heating cables, etc must be IPX7
6) Specific information of the installation must be left with the end user.

The above is just a summary, the full section is 3 pages. I will try to post more detail later.

Peter:thumbsup:

D

DHTiling

I know that bathrooms have to go on a sepaerate RCD unit now so how will that effect tilers if just putting UFH in.....?..

Kitchens will not be a problem it's more bathrooms we need to know about pete if you can please......:):):)

pjrich

TF
TF Official Sponsor
Reaction score
Just had another conversation with technical at the NICEIC to confirm my thoughts and this is what I've established with regard to bathrooms and electric underfloor heating.

1) If the electrical installation has no existing RCDs then you should either upgrade the consumer unit to 17th edition requirements (likely to cost £400 +) or use fused spur with an integeral RCD to power the underfloor heating (Total power must not exceed 3000W)

2) If the electrical installation has a relatively modern consumer unit with RCD protection on the ring main(s) (Sockets) then it is acceptable to use a normal fused spur off the local circuit.

3) If an completely new circuit has to be installed from a consumer unit then is must be protected by a 30mA RCD.

Hope this helps, if anything is needed let me know and I'll do my best.

Forgot to mention that all UFH systems supplied by www.uheat.co.uk comply fully with the current regulations :yes:

Peter:thumbsup:

Reply to Reducing floor thickness with UFH in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all, I've laid some Arditex NA over the kitchen floor area (not under cabinets. The area is...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen