Search the forum,

Discuss Problem with paramount wall board :-( in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

M

Mark B

Hello,

I have just started a job and have discovered that the internal walls for the alcove shower I'm retiling are made from Paramount wall board - the house is only 6 or 7 years old.

The problem I have is that the alcove is constructed to the right size, 1200 x 800. If I were to try and tile over the existing tiles it would make it too small for the shower tray and screen. I have already started to remove some of the tiles from the paramount and whilst the first few came off OK the next few have removed large amounts of plaster with them.

I'm thinking of talking to the customer about getting a plasterer in but what would you advise?

Thanks

Mark

M

Mark B

Hi Grumpy,

It's a partition board system that's a cardboard core sandwiched between 2 layers of plasterboard. I believe it has wooden battens around the edges of each "sheet" for fixing it to the floor and ceiling joists.

I know others on here have had problems with it. I've read through all of the threads and posts I could find.

Mark.

W

White Room

grumpy, It's two sheets of plasterboard and like an egg box effect sandwiched between the two sheets, It was fast track internal wall construction but only 50mm thick. Don't think they make it any more last time I saw it being used was 30 years ago, surprised at 6-7 years. Answer, Why don't take the bottom tiles of the wall so the tray can fit and build up where the tiles where taken off to the tray then tile over the existing.

W

wetdec

Hi

Paramount never ceased to be used in France where door frames are made to accept it.

When Lafarge came over here they brought it with them, not sure if Knauff do it as well.

If what whitebeam says is of no use, take the tiles off best you can and then patch the board with multi coat plaster. Just fill the holes flush these boards are very hard because of the honeycomb it will be fine.

tiler

M

Mark B

Wetdec & Whitebeam,

Thanks for the advice.

I have just spoken with the customer and he is really keen to remove the inner plaster board, remove the centre core, construct a timber stud frame within the wall, re-board the inner skin with backer board and then screw the outer skin to the studwork. This is after he had spoken to a builder he uses who has had to do this before.

I'm not sure that's going to be the easiest option but it should provide a better substrate in the long run.

Mark.

M

Mark B

Wetdec - you were right.

Lafarge used to manufacture it up until about 6 years ago. I spoke to their technical department and their advice was also to remove the inner skin build in some studwork and then attach both skins to it.

Mark.

W

wetdec

Wetdec - you were right.

Lafarge used to manufacture it up until about 6 years ago. I spoke to their technical department and their advice was also to remove the inner skin build in some studwork and then attach both skins to it.

Mark.

Go 4 it :thumbsup:

Reply to Problem with paramount wall board :-( in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi, first time posting. I’m in the middle of tiling my own bathroom, first time having a go at...
Replies
Views
I'm redoing our bathroom and looking for some advice on tiling backer boards in relation to the...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm trying to assess what prep is needed on the walls for my kitchen backsplash. We'll be...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone Looking soon at retiling a shower enclosure walls at a local leisure centre. Once...
Replies
Views
Hello all, After years of abuse, the bathroom needed an overhaul from top to bottom. Out...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen