Discuss Possible Damage To Wall Tiles, Please Advise. in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

R

RookieT

Hello everyone

My names Bob And was just wondering if anyone can help?

Recently moved into a new property which has been great, however, a small problem with our tiles in our shower cubicle.

Basically it looks like the tiles are starting to come off or something. Is it water getting behind them? I've added pictures to show the damage.

Thanks in advance

Bob Charley.

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

P

philrab66

Hello everyone

Recently moved into a new property which has been great, however, a small problem with our tiles in our shower cubicle.

Basically it looks like the tiles are starting to come off or something. Is it water getting behind them? I've added pictures to show the damage.

Thanks in advance

Bob Charley.

View attachment 76965 View attachment 76966 View attachment 76967

Hi Bob your problem is that a builder has more than likely fixed your tiles.

O

Old Mod

Hi Bob, welcome to the Forum,
I've changed the thread title to illustrate the problem.

Tap the tile and the area around them with your knuckles and check for a difference in sound.
U'll soon tell how far the damage extends.
They'll sound hollow if they have debonded from the wall.

P

philrab66

Hello everyone

Thanks in advance

Bob Charley.

View attachment 76965 View attachment 76966 View attachment 76967

The tiles have probably been fitted to plasterboard and the grout has failed and water is now getting behind the tiles and making the plasterboard expand with water ingress. You can easily tell by removing a loose tile and checking behind it. It will probably be black and moldy and very soft. To make good you would have to remove all tiles and prepare properly before replacing tiles.
Phil.

AliGage

TF
Arms
Subscribed
Reaction score
Hi Bob, welcome to the forum.

That absolutely is water damage at the substrate.
Looks to me like the previous owners might have refreshed the silicone prior to selling.

No long term patch up repair I'm afraid. They need to be removed and the substrate replaced.

R

RookieT

Thank you for all your replies really helpful. We found a builders business card in one of the drawers so maybe your right.

I have just tapped the tiles. I can firmly say the tiles which look loose, actually are loose and I can move them slightly with one finger. And it sounds very "thin" instead of the tiles above which sound solid if you know what I mean.

O

Old Mod

Thank you for all your replies really helpful. We found a builders business card in one of the drawers so maybe your right.

I have just tapped the tiles. I can firmly say the tiles which look loose, actually are loose and I can move them slightly with one finger. And it sounds very "thin" instead of the tiles above which sound solid if you know what I mean.
Sorry what is subtrate?
So was the wrong adhesive used? Thanks again for the replies

The substrate is the surface directly below the tiles, the correct adhesive may have been used, but the application could be incorrect.
As has been said above, u'll need to inspect the area behind the tiles to see the extent of the damage first before any plan of repair can be formulated.

AliGage

TF
Arms
Subscribed
Reaction score
Judging by the fact the silicone looks newly refreshed I'd say that it failed before. Causing any puddling water from showering to creep under the tiles.
100% certain you'll have a plasterboard wall there, be it dot and dabbed over block or studwork.
The plasterboard will be saturated, the dark spots/or darkening on the grout joint is mildew coming through.

Is the tray plastic by chance?

R

RookieT

They definitely know what there talking about!! :D thanks guys and I will tomorrow, I'm just sat downstairs playing my guitar whilst the cat is on my nap.

One love
Bob Charley

R

RookieT

It is plastic. Why do you ask? Does the whole bathroom need tiling or can the tiles be replaced were there is damage?

One love
Bob Charley

O

Old Mod

It is plastic. Why do you ask? Does the whole bathroom need tiling or can the tiles be replaced were there is damage?

One love
Bob Charley

Well Bob, sounds like for tonight at least, the guitar and the cat are the way to go!
Just chill and tackle it tomorrow would be my plan! :D

Reply to Possible Damage To Wall Tiles, Please Advise. in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

There are similar tiling threads here

Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you...
Replies
Views
My bathroom was tiled 5 years ago with 60x30 tiles which became loose and came clean off with a...
Replies
Views
Hello there, Relatively recently we had a new en-suite fitted (complete rip out of the old...
Replies
Views
Hello, Just joined the forum and am hoping to get some advice on a project. I live in San...
Replies
Views
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

Replies you've not seen

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Teejay