Search the forum,

Discuss Possible Damage To Wall Tiles, Please Advise. in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

M

Mr Tiler

Thank you for all your replies really helpful. We found a builders business card in one of the drawers so maybe your right.

I have just tapped the tiles. I can firmly say the tiles which look loose, actually are loose and I can move them slightly with one finger. And it sounds very "thin" instead of the tiles above which sound solid if you know what I mean.
If doing it yourself, remove all lose tiles in rows until they are solid, replace substrate fix, grout and seal (silicone) tiles thats if you manage to save them and jobs a good en

R

RookieT

Thank you Mr tiler I think I will ring a tiler to come round when there free best leave it to a professional.

Don't know if my cat Terry will appreciate the banging mind ha ha.

One love
Bob Charley

AliGage

TF
Arms
Subscribed
Reaction score
Yes it is. Built in 2011, detached house my honourable friend

One love
Bob Charley

Thought as much. Built by one of the mainstream builder too.

How high off the deck have put it? 4", 5"?
I've seen one set 8" up before on spindly metal legs.
You'll be surprised how many of these fail in the first 3-4 years.
Best advice I can give you is change the tray to a stone resin one. It's all well and good taking tiles off and fixing the substrate but that tray will always always always flex. Which means the silicone will always pull and fail and you'll have the same issue again.

M

Mr Tiler

id just repair substrate and replace tiles for now if possible. If issue persists then see if the problem is the tray. But see what the tiler says surely theres one on here who could quote for you

R

RookieT

It's about 5 inches so underneath the shower tray there will be a trap?

Sorry for the late reply I've just made Terry a hot chocolate with a blob of felix in it

One love
Bob Charley

AliGage

TF
Arms
Subscribed
Reaction score
id just repair substrate and replace tiles for now if possible. If issue persists then see if the problem is the tray. But see what the tiler says surely theres one on here who could quote for you

Then you'd be a fool Ash. The tray needs changing. Trust me, the "leak" is NOTHING to do with the tiling.

It's about 5 inches so underneath the shower tray there will be a trap?

Sorry for the late reply I've just made Terry a hot chocolate with a blob of felix in it

One love
Bob Charley

Yes the trap will be under there. Do you have a small height boxing leading around the wall?
If not it might be possible to sit your tray on the floor and put the trap under the floor. Which aesthetically is better and the tray will be better supported too.

M

Mr Tiler

Then you'd be a fool Ash. The tray needs changing. Trust me, the "leak" is NOTHING to do with the tiling.
Not nocking your experience here ali, but it would be a lot better to try replacing the tiles first than to rip the system out and spend all that money thats all i.m.o

AliGage

TF
Arms
Subscribed
Reaction score
Not nocking your experience here ali, but it would be a lot better to try replacing the tiles first than to rip the system out and spend all that money thats all i.m.o

Ash if you replace the tiles and it happens again then there's more expense again and the tiling will have to be done again.

I can 100% guarantee it's the use of a plastic tray that ultimately has caused this problem. Absolutely.

Reply to Possible Damage To Wall Tiles, Please Advise. in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen