Discuss Bath Shower wall prep after tiles fell off in the Tanking and Wetrooms Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Reaction score
My bathroom was tiled 5 years ago with 60x30 tiles which became loose and came clean off with a little wiggle. The installation was prior to when I moved in. The walls look sound and flat and seemed to have been newly plastered before the tiling was done.

My question is what do I need to seal the walls before retiling, happy to go over the top so i don't have an issue in the future.

This behind the bath and shower.

Many thanks in advance.

Andrew

Attachments

• image-edit-20230722185954 (2).jpg
    479.2 KB · Views: 31
Reaction score
The wall was not primed prior to fixing so the adhesive has only bonded to the dusty surface.
I would remove the lot as it's been spot fixed and will not last, get some tanking paste and give the whole wall at least two coats, this will waterproof and prime the walls, use a full bed and lightly butter the back of each tile to ensure 100% contact with the adhesive.

Reaction score
The wall was not primed prior to fixing so the adhesive has only bonded to the dusty surface.
I would remove the lot as it's been spot fixed and will not last, get some tanking paste and give the whole wall at least two coats, this will waterproof and prime the walls, use a full bed and lightly butter the back of each tile to ensure 100% contact with the adhesive.
Hi Slippery

Thanks for the advice, can I ask a few more questions;-

The plaster looks polished, should I key it, if so and what's the best way?
Tanking Paste, any recommendation on brand/type?
Do I need to use Bond SBR as well?
What would be the best type of tile adhesive to use ( tiles are 600mm x 300mm x 10mm)

Thanks in advance

A

Reaction score
1, the tanking solution will take care of that and is a primer in itself
2, I think Screwfix do a mapei kit with tape and corners by Mapei for about £45
3, no, see 1
4, much of a muchness really, my favorite is adesilex p9 because of it's workability but any powdered slow or medium set will be fine, be sure to spread and butter!

If you haven't been taught how to spread, watch this video, it's very informative!
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Way5bMh-eYg

Rutters

TF
Reaction score
Hi,
Remove tiles, scrape of old adhesive. If plaster is polished then you need to key in by rubbing the surface with rough sand paper. There are other ways which you can research.dust off. Wipe down and prime with an acrylic primer following manufacturer guidance. You won't need to tank the whole bathroom. You only need to tank the shower area. Tanking kits provide an acrylic primer. The tanking mixture itself is not a primer. The walls still needs to be primed prior to applying the tanking mixture. Once dry you can then tile away making sure you use the appropriate adhesive and grout.

Reply to Bath Shower wall prep after tiles fell off in the Tanking and Wetrooms Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Apatel
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks