Search the forum,

Discuss Possible Damage To Wall Tiles, Please Advise. in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

AliGage

TF
Arms
Subscribed
Reaction score
Judging by the fact the silicone looks newly refreshed I'd say that it failed before. Causing any puddling water from showering to creep under the tiles.
100% certain you'll have a plasterboard wall there, be it dot and dabbed over block or studwork.
The plasterboard will be saturated, the dark spots/or darkening on the grout joint is mildew coming through.

Is the tray plastic by chance?

R

RookieT

They definitely know what there talking about!! :D thanks guys and I will tomorrow, I'm just sat downstairs playing my guitar whilst the cat is on my nap.

One love
Bob Charley

R

RookieT

It is plastic. Why do you ask? Does the whole bathroom need tiling or can the tiles be replaced were there is damage?

One love
Bob Charley

O

Old Mod

It is plastic. Why do you ask? Does the whole bathroom need tiling or can the tiles be replaced were there is damage?

One love
Bob Charley

Well Bob, sounds like for tonight at least, the guitar and the cat are the way to go!
Just chill and tackle it tomorrow would be my plan! :D

AliGage

TF
Arms
Subscribed
Reaction score
It's a common problem with plastic trays Bob.
They flex too much and expand/contract quite a bit due to heat from the shower water.
You could remove a few rows of tiles and replace a patch of board but in my opinion you would be far better off spending a bit more and redoing the wet area at least. Also replacing the tray with a stone resin one.

R

RookieT

*puts guitar to one side and grabs reading glasses*

So you think there was a gap between the plastic and tiles which water has sneaked through?

*strokes chin gracefully*

R

RookieT

That would be my best option wouldn't it.

Why would a professional fit this knowing this problem will occur sometime or other?

*stroking cat whilst looking into the distance*

One love
Bob Charley

AliGage

TF
Arms
Subscribed
Reaction score
*puts guitar to one side and grabs reading glasses*

So you think there was a gap between the plastic and tiles which water has sneaked through?

*strokes chin gracefully*

Absolutely. Although there should be a gap between tray and tiles which duley should be filled with silicone.

Problem you have is a plastic tray, no doubt up on legs which flexes under the weight of a small child let alone an adult.

Plastic trays are cheap and nasty and in my opinion are leaks waiting to happen.

R

RookieT

Some rogue trader has had money from the previous owner, without doing a proper job is shocking it should be illegal don't you think?

*grabs laptop and strokes keys charmingly*

One love
Bob Charley

Reply to Possible Damage To Wall Tiles, Please Advise. in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen