Search the forum,

Discuss Porcelain Equivalent Of Black Quartz Stardust in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

P

p4ulo

Sounds like you want the vinyl up mate. I wonder what its glued down with, maybe there is a thinner type product you could use to break it down? Not sure how you'd attack it tbh, or maybe a heat gun?

AliGage

TF
Arms
Subscribed
Reaction score
If so I was wondering if on this occasion a decoupling mate would be more suited if height is an issue.
A fleece backed one rather than a quick mat. So something like ditra or dural. The later of which is available at your topps store.
Because it's fleeced backed you can use a rubber resin glue rather than a cement based.
Not 100% which one will allow going over the vinyl. But there will be one.

B

berilac

here are some snaps of the kitchen and bathroom floors

bathroom.jpg Kitchen.jpg

B

berilac

guys instead of using an hardboard would removing the lino, putting a mesh and tiles over be another option,

B

berilac

Thought the lino was tricky to get up!?
I had a few other people look at it and they think the Lino may come out with a heat gun, the floor may get damaged a little as the adhesive is sticking well and they have suggested I put a mesh and then the tiles, will this work ?

Dave

TF
Staff member
Arms
Esteemed
Reaction score
B

berilac

I have had 3-4 more professionals(hopefully) look at it and its down to two options,

1. One option was to cut the lino+ply sections and replace with 3mm floor + ditra matt and then tile on top. This would keep the height consistent

2. The other option was to just remove the lino and then add a steel wire mesh and then add tiles on top. this would increase the height but is a simpler job

am leaning towards first option,

B

berilac

I personally think you should cut around the kitchen units, remove vinyl and whatever ply comes up with it, same in the bathroom, and when you fit the Hardieboard you can self-level the floor to bring it up flat before tiling.
If it isn't going to be done this way, I wouldn't do it, I guess the Hardiebacker could go down over the vinyl, but in effect its ONLY the screws holding it down that way, adhesive underneath not doing much. If he insists on going this way, as long as he compensated with extra screws with adhesive it might hold....but it'd be a heck of a step-up from other rooms.....
Sounds like your suggestion of cutting around the kitchen units might work, this means removing the vinyl + ply a and replacing it with 3mm board + ditra matt is what has been suggested

P

p4ulo

Sounds like your suggestion of cutting around the kitchen units might work, this means removing the vinyl + ply a and replacing it with 3mm board + ditra matt is what has been suggested

Hmm, not sure about 3mm boards, Hardie is 6mm and that is what I would be pushing for if I was you. Only 3mm in it, you're never going to notice that but it'll improve the solid feel.

Reply to Porcelain Equivalent Of Black Quartz Stardust in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi all! Just wondering what the best advice is for book-keeping? Been self employed now for a...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
  • Poll
Hi, I have a small en-suite 1200 x 2400, with a 1200 x 900mm linear drain tray which will have...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen