Search the forum,

Discuss Porcelain Equivalent Of Black Quartz Stardust in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

P

p4ulo

Well if u were over boarding with ply for example, would u still remove the vinyl flooring?

Yeah I would, but its a height issue really more than anything else? And I'd probs whack down some "No More Nails" between the two as well.

O

Old Mod

Yeah I would, but its a height issue really more than anything else? And I'd probs whack down some "No More Nails" between the two as well.
But if you're screwing thro the ply into the boards below, why would u remove the vinyl?
Is that not a waste of effort?

P

p4ulo

But if you're screwing thro the ply into the boards below, why would u remove the vinyl?
Is that not a waste of effort?

Yeah probably, but I work a particular way, I like to be back to ground level, how do you know the floor is sound underneath said vinyl? plus, if heights of floors is an issue, why not get down as low as you can??

O

Old Mod

Yeah probably, but I work a particular way, I like to be back to ground level, how do you know the floor is sound underneath said vinyl? plus, if heights of floors is an issue, why not get down as low as you can??
Well I'm not gonna get into a big debate P4ulo because it doesn't need it, but if u can't tell the state of the sub floor thro vinyl tiles, then yes u need to take it all up.
That's kool tho, the fact that u feel unable to gaurantee it without taking it back further is all credit to you! Truly.
If more people knew their limits, there would be less failures.

B

berilac

There are 3 concerns I have with this,
1. Height : at the moment the kitchen/bathroom with Vinyl is aligned with rest of the rooms height wise,
If I tile this over the vinyl it will add a height of approx 16mm (6mm for the hardboard + approx 10mm for the stardust tiles),
2. Future work : For future renovations, more layers to remove i.e. the tiles, hardwood, vinyl , ply..etc
3. Weight : I was thinking was of weight but that should hold through and may not be a big deal.

P

p4ulo

Sounds like you want the vinyl up mate. I wonder what its glued down with, maybe there is a thinner type product you could use to break it down? Not sure how you'd attack it tbh, or maybe a heat gun?

AliGage

TF
Arms
Subscribed
Reaction score
If so I was wondering if on this occasion a decoupling mate would be more suited if height is an issue.
A fleece backed one rather than a quick mat. So something like ditra or dural. The later of which is available at your topps store.
Because it's fleeced backed you can use a rubber resin glue rather than a cement based.
Not 100% which one will allow going over the vinyl. But there will be one.

B

berilac

here are some snaps of the kitchen and bathroom floors

bathroom.jpg Kitchen.jpg

Reply to Porcelain Equivalent Of Black Quartz Stardust in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen