Search the forum,

Discuss Porcelain Equivalent Of Black Quartz Stardust in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

B

berilac

thanks guys , this forum is great and your advise is much appreciated, I got the hardie board from tops tiles as well and that was a great tip,

Though it seems I still have problems, today my tiler mentioned he would have to add the hardboard on top of the vinyl tiles I already have , there is a problem where the vinyl is stuck on the floor below and is breaking that up, in this case the height of the kitchen and bathroom will go up by 12-14mm. What would you suggest.
I have two options,
- add another layer of Vinyl on top of it
- or add the hardboard and stardust tiles over them

Regards
ST

P

p4ulo

Nah, get the vinyl up. Maybe he doesn't fancy doing it cos its a bit more work, could you offer to do it?
If its a 1st floor in an Edwardian house they'll be stuck onto ply on-top of the original floor-boards perhaps?
Best approach is to get right back to the floor boards and start again, gluing and screwing the Hardibacker boards down to the floor boards.

B

berilac

its stuck and it won't come off without causing wear and tear to the ply and he reckons we would have to lift the whole kitchen out to replace it, am thinking its maybe simpler if I just add Vinyl to it for now and later get the whole thing done,

M

Mark Preston

i was advised to go with bal ptb and ad1 mix for the stardust... Certainly should be a two part, as I understand it two much moisture can bow the quartz tile

P

p4ulo

its stuck and it won't come off without causing wear and tear to the ply and he reckons we would have to lift the whole kitchen out to replace it, am thinking its maybe simpler if I just add Vinyl to it for now and later get the whole thing done,

Sounds like a bit of a faff to me, I thought it was a simple bathroom refit, didn't know there was a Kitchen involved too?
Dunno what to suggest, depends how much you want the job done, and whether the kitchen is staying forever??

B

berilac

lol , I am getting the kitchen and bathroom retiled with the same stardust tiles, I have the same problem in them though so its consistent,

I would have gone ahead with it but not sure if tiling over the vinyl is a good idea,

Sounds like a bit of a faff to me, I thought it was a simple bathroom refit, didn't know there was a Kitchen involved too?
Dunno what to suggest, depends how much you want the job done, and whether the kitchen is staying forever??

P

p4ulo

I personally think you should cut around the kitchen units, remove vinyl and whatever ply comes up with it, same in the bathroom, and when you fit the Hardieboard you can self-level the floor to bring it up flat before tiling.
If it isn't going to be done this way, I wouldn't do it, I guess the Hardiebacker could go down over the vinyl, but in effect its ONLY the screws holding it down that way, adhesive underneath not doing much. If he insists on going this way, as long as he compensated with extra screws with adhesive it might hold....but it'd be a heck of a step-up from other rooms.....

O

Old Mod

The adhesive used with Hardi isn't used to hold it down.
It's purely used to take out unevenness of the substrate.
The screws are used to secure it to the floor.

P

p4ulo

The adhesive used with Hardi isn't used to hold it down.
It's purely used to take out unevenness of the substrate.
The screws are used to secure it to the floor.

Oh right, I wasn't aware of that, trust me when I've cut through some onto floorboards for a plumber to access something its stuck fast!
So it could be ok then (apart from the height)

O

Old Mod

Oh right, I wasn't aware of that, trust me when I've cut through some onto floorboards for a plumber to access something its stuck fast!
So it could be ok then (apart from the height)
Well if u were over boarding with ply for example, would u still remove the vinyl flooring?

P

p4ulo

Well if u were over boarding with ply for example, would u still remove the vinyl flooring?

Yeah I would, but its a height issue really more than anything else? And I'd probs whack down some "No More Nails" between the two as well.

O

Old Mod

Yeah I would, but its a height issue really more than anything else? And I'd probs whack down some "No More Nails" between the two as well.
But if you're screwing thro the ply into the boards below, why would u remove the vinyl?
Is that not a waste of effort?

P

p4ulo

But if you're screwing thro the ply into the boards below, why would u remove the vinyl?
Is that not a waste of effort?

Yeah probably, but I work a particular way, I like to be back to ground level, how do you know the floor is sound underneath said vinyl? plus, if heights of floors is an issue, why not get down as low as you can??

O

Old Mod

Yeah probably, but I work a particular way, I like to be back to ground level, how do you know the floor is sound underneath said vinyl? plus, if heights of floors is an issue, why not get down as low as you can??
Well I'm not gonna get into a big debate P4ulo because it doesn't need it, but if u can't tell the state of the sub floor thro vinyl tiles, then yes u need to take it all up.
That's kool tho, the fact that u feel unable to gaurantee it without taking it back further is all credit to you! Truly.
If more people knew their limits, there would be less failures.

B

berilac

There are 3 concerns I have with this,
1. Height : at the moment the kitchen/bathroom with Vinyl is aligned with rest of the rooms height wise,
If I tile this over the vinyl it will add a height of approx 16mm (6mm for the hardboard + approx 10mm for the stardust tiles),
2. Future work : For future renovations, more layers to remove i.e. the tiles, hardwood, vinyl , ply..etc
3. Weight : I was thinking was of weight but that should hold through and may not be a big deal.

Reply to Porcelain Equivalent Of Black Quartz Stardust in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi all! Just wondering what the best advice is for book-keeping? Been self employed now for a...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
  • Poll
Hi, I have a small en-suite 1200 x 2400, with a 1200 x 900mm linear drain tray which will have...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen