Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss Next Project! in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Rich Midge

TF
Esteemed
Reaction score
This all seems a hassle for a 2metre floor! Just go with the Dunlop, its on your doorstep and it'll work perfectly fine. Slurry, slc, Set Fast Plus addy is half decent gear. I know tilers in north Wales who won't use anything but Dunlop. Given the size of the floor, once your slurry is dry mix the full bag of leveller with 5litres of water and pour, let it flow and you're good to go.

Reaction score
Thanks for all the help so far guys. It really is appreciated.
I think I'll hit armatile tbh, I liked using the mapei before and maybe I'll give the Mrs a trip around the shops whilst there!

Do armatile sell eco prime t?

I have the vinyl lifted n 80% of the glue scraped off, would a grinder with a wire wheel be OK to strip off the rest?

So to plan if I totally remove the glue?

Eco prime t floor
Renovation screed SLC
Prime again? Using?
Keraflex adhesive? ( do I need keraflex maxi?)

How does that sound?

There is no fball and co in n.Ireland as far as I can see

Rich Midge, thanks for the alternative suggestion but I think it would be nice to skip the slurry coat stage and using mapei I hope I can stick to same brand of primers/SLC/addy etc

S

Spud

Yes if you get the glue off that is good prep, you dont need to prime twice once the renovation screed has dried the surface is fine to go straight on with adhesive

L

LM

Phone Boucher and if they don't have it they'll bring the Eco prime t up from Armagh for the next day

F

Flintstone

What a load of faf and waffle here, if it's flat, it doesn't need levelling, make a slurry coat or buy one ready mixed , let it dry then tile it, easy as that. No need to put any leveller on it

Reaction score
Going to change plan!

Eco prime t as far as I know can only be bought in larger containers and as I'm only tiling 2/3 metres I don't want to pay that much and then throw it out! It is quite expensive!

Reading between the lines of this thread I've came to the following conclusions

- if I can remove 100% of glue I don't need a slurry coat and I can use any SLC ( doesn't have to be two part)

So I can sbr and use slc and then tile.

- if I can't get 100% of the glue removed I can either slurry coat and use any SLC and then tile

Or

Use a two part SLC n then tile

Am I correct in this?

Rich Midge

TF
Esteemed
Reaction score
Going to change plan!

Eco prime t as far as I know can only be bought in larger containers and as I'm only tiling 2/3 metres I don't want to pay that much and then throw it out! It is quite expensive!

Reading between the lines of this thread I've came to the following conclusions

- if I can remove 100% of glue I don't need a slurry coat and I can use any SLC ( doesn't have to be two part)

So I can sbr and use slc and then tile.

- if I can't get 100% of the glue removed I can either slurry coat and use any SLC and then tile

Or

Use a two part SLC n then tile

Am I correct in this?
Yes.

Reaction score
And the Saga continues!

Went to tile shop number 1

Had no two part leveler or standard set adhesive and when I asked for sbr he asked me what that was! He then told me to try tile shop number two!

Tile shop number 2

Asked for leveller adhesive n primer

Brought it all out from back n put it in the car.

So I come home happy n inspect my purchases!
He'd given me a latex smoothing compound to bed trowelled on. So dubious of my trowelling skills I wasn't amused but thought lets try this!

Back to the floor, I taped up the door n got to work with my grinder to clean the remainder of the glue off. Went over the full floor and inspected after, all it really did was smear it around. So started to scrape again!

Scraped an hour and getting more n more annoyed, I read the instructions on the smoothing gear. It said can be applied over non soluble residue but no bitumen! My knowledge of glue residue being very slim injust got confused and angry! Boiled the kettle to try heating the glue n to my surprise it turned it white and made it bubble up and Easy?! to scraclean. I scrubbed the floor clean using clean water n left it to dry out.

I then decided to use the leftover SLC from my living room so I could pour it rather than trowel it. Primed the floor and out on the SLC and that's where I'm at now!

Reaction score
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

L

LM

And the Saga continues!

Went to tile shop number 1

Had no two part leveler or standard set adhesive and when I asked for sbr he asked me what that was! He then told me to try tile shop number two!

Tile shop number 2

Asked for leveller adhesive n primer

Brought it all out from back n put it in the car.

So I come home happy n inspect my purchases!
He'd given me a latex smoothing compound to bed trowelled on. So dubious of my trowelling skills I wasn't amused but thought lets try this!

Back to the floor, I taped up the door n got to work with my grinder to clean the remainder of the glue off. Went over the full floor and inspected after, all it really did was smear it around. So started to scrape again!

Scraped an hour and getting more n more annoyed, I read the instructions on the smoothing gear. It said can be applied over non soluble residue but no bitumen! My knowledge of glue residue being very slim injust got confused and angry! Boiled the kettle to try heating the glue n to my surprise it turned it white and made it bubble up and Easy?! to scraclean. I scrubbed the floor clean using clean water n left it to dry out.

I then decided to use the leftover SLC from my living room so I could pour it rather than trowel it. Primed the floor and out on the SLC and that's where I'm at now![/QUOTE
well eventually your getting there, you seem to be on the home straight now

Reaction score
Laid the tiles on Sunday, I primed the SLC, wasn't sure whether to or not but thought it (hopefully!) Couldn't do any harm.

8 hours! It took me to tile slightly over 2 metres! From starting to plan layout till tools away. Ungrouted!

Reaction score
I centred the tiles to the room. Looking at the doorway into the kitchen would I have been better to move the floor up a few cms to make the tiles more symmetrical in the door jam?

I was undecided but decided to go with the centred room plan

Reply to Next Project! in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Apatel
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks