Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss Next Project! in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

L

LM

Too try and kill the vinyl adhesive that I can't remove easily. From past experience I had a nitemare with it and was hoping self level would be an easy solution to that
Any TWO part leveller will do the job so long as you don't exceed the recommend depth

Reaction score
OK so removed as much glue as poss, SBR n self level with local suppliers two part lebveller.

Then SBR again?

Do I need a flexible adhesive ?

L

LM

You shouldn't need to prime again and for all the difference in cost for the size of this job you'd be better to get flexible adhesive

E

ExplodingPudding

If the floor was good enough for vinyl why are you thinking of a self levelling compound?

Vinyl adhesive can cause problems for the tile adhesives that I sell personally so can't comment as to the OP's choice. But from hearsay, vinyl can be a nightmare once it's removed. If you ever get the chance, ring BAL or Maipei and they can explain all the in's and out's a lot better.

T

Time's Ran Out

Vinyl adhesive can cause problems for the tile adhesives that I sell personally so can't comment as to the OP's choice. But from hearsay, vinyl can be a nightmare once it's removed. If you ever get the chance, ring BAL or Maipei and they can explain all the in's and out's a lot better.

Not sure if you were commenting on my post.
My point is not about tiling over vinyl adhesive but the need to self level a flat floor when other simpler methods are available.

E

ExplodingPudding

Not sure if you were commenting on my post.
My point is not about tiling over vinyl adhesive but the need to self level a flat floor when other simpler methods are available.

Yes I was replying to yourself incase the OP wanted to reference. And to eliminate any chance of the vinyl adhesive causing issues would be my reasoning.

Reaction score
image.jpg

L

LM

A lot of what action to take also depends on which type of vinyl adhesive your dealing with, ie: multi purpose, acrylic or epoxy and so on, it's hard to determine what to do unless you know what your looking at. Guessing by your pictures I'd say you've got a multi purpose on the floor there, the 'framing' around where each vinyl tile was is evidence of water damage from things like mopping, acrylic and epoxy don't suffer from this. Try throwing dry addy powders over the floor and scrape the floor in all directions with a large floor scrapper,one you use standing up for the extra force it will give, the addy powder will help kill the tackiness and clogg up the excess adhesive residue, then clean off as best you can, what doesn't come off then isn't ever gonna come up. Then go over with a good quality two part slc. (they advertise that they can be used for this purpose) and then simply tile as normal, it will be absolutely fine.

L

LM

Adhesive manufactures are worried about you tiling over pools of excess vinyl adhesive which when pooled are too soft to tile on if it's a multi purpose adhesive.

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice. Will hopefully get it sorted by the weekend ready to get the 2 part Slc on sat morning n get it levelled.

Funny thing about the vinyl adhesive is it isn't very sticky! Looks similar to the last I encountered but it was very sticky

L

LM

I served my time first in soft flooring so I can say this with confidence, vinyl dosent need a flat floor and it's surprising how uneven the substrate will have been that you'll find vinyl floor laid on, they only need to be smooth which is the opposite to what a tiler needs. My advice to level the floor was to serve two purposes, one, obviously to level the floor, but secondly that two part slc is the best way to 'kill' vinyl adhesive residues, that's how the flooring trade deals with it.

Reaction score
I haven't got the SLC yet but have got some adhesive in the local tile shop.

Larsen flexible standard set

I didn't want to buy their sbr as it's only in big containers ( maybe 5 litres)

Would mapei primer g be suitable for the two part SLC and the Larsen adhesive?

The reason I'd like to use it is I can buy it in a litre container. So wont be throwing as much out when it goes out of date after my floor is done

Reply to Next Project! in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Apatel
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks