• UK Tiling Forum that lauched to the World. USA and UK Tile Fixers

Welcome to the UK Tiling Forum for UK Tiling Advice, and US Tile Fixers Advice, whether wall tiling or floor tiling advice, by Tilers Forums. The collective tiling advice forum. TilersForums.co.uk now redirects to TilersForums.com.

Discuss New member needs help with Porcelanosa in the UK Tiling Forum | Tiling Advice area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

P

P993

Hi All,

I’ve just signed up but have visited the site a number of times over the years, and it has been a very valuable source of information.

Sorry to make my first post a cry for help, but I’m in need of some desperate help.

I ordered c.130sqm of porcelain floor tiles from Porcelanosa, thinking it was a reputable brand and that I wouldn’t have any problems.

Unfortunately, the tiling contractor was due to start laying the tiles today, and discovered that the tiles:
A) aren’t square (one corner on each tile seems ‘short’); and
B) one edge on each tile seems to have a large bevel than the others.

I’m hoping the attached picture will highlight the issue.

I’ve contacted Porcelanosa’s after sales team, whose initial response (having spoken to Urbatek, the manufacturer), is to fob me off.

Needless to say, the tiles were very expensive and I’m very nervous they are trying to convince me that I should accept these defective tiles. It seems obvious that something isn’t quite right.

Can anyone give me some guidance in terms how how to proceed ?

Any help much appreciated !!

9584A83A-DC8B-44D1-8707-8A8309335220.jpeg

Uneven chamfer/bevel highlighted in green circles.

A0351809-43DB-4B29-8CAE-81307E7262CD.jpeg

OP
O

Old Mod

Hi and welcome to the forum.
It’s always unfortunate when someone feels they have to join the forum because they’re in a jam, but that’s ok, that’s one reason we exist, so no worries.

Understand your pain there for sure having dealt with issues like that in the past.
What are the size of the tiles?
If you were to put two or maybe four, could you manipulate them to see if at one point they were one tile?
It’s not unusual for manufacturers to make them a certain size and then cut them in half or quarters. This may explain why they look as they do.
Not saying it is, but there’s a chance.

If they’re not a natural stone and something that is manufactured, why wouldn’t you expect uniformity?

OP
P

P993

Thanks for the reply. The tiles are a 60x60 porcelain.

It’s very odd that every tile seems to have one edge that features the wider chamfer/bevel, almost as though they were polished on that edge after production.

OP
O

Old Mod

That is why I suggested looking at 4 together. It may be a 1200 x 1200 cut in to four

OP
P

P993

Good point - I will check.

Either way, would you agree they aren’t fit for purpose ?

Would be grateful if anyone has advice in terms of returning tiles. I feel like Porcelanosa are trying to find excuses to make out there isn’t a problem.

OP
O

Old Mod

The person who would be of more immediate help could possibly be @Paul C.
He’s up to speed on retail practises.
Unfortunately cutting larger pieces in to smaller ones is common practice.

OP
P

P993

The person who would be of more immediate help could possibly be @Paul C.
He’s up to speed on retail practises.
Unfortunately cutting larger pieces in to smaller ones is common practice.

Understood. I don’t mind that they’re cut, if the tiles all looked the same. But they are now not true squares. Even if only marginal, on a large area it is going to make it difficult to keep everything perfectly lined up.

I’ve never had a problem with Porcelanosa before. Very confused about what’s happened here.

Actually I remember now they have sent me a message indicating they are all pressed as a set of 8 tiles. So apparently not cut from a larger tile.

Simon Dale

TF
Esteemed
Supporter
Reaction score
Probably get it in the neck now ! It looks to me once laid you might have .5mm difference between tiles. I don't think people will notice. Once grouted your going to have nearly 5mm grout joint due to the bevel. You should have gone for rectified Porcelain. Don't want to dis Porcelanosa but they are a house builder tile, you could find better elsewhere .

OP
P

P993

Think some are up to 2mm out but I need to check properly. These were meant to be rectified. (that’s what we were told anyway!).

Just seems odd that the bevel is not consistent?

Good to know re Porcelanosa. Lesson learned.

Which supplier(s) would you recommend ? Am searching on the forum about the TPT/Porcel-Thin also.

OP
W

WetSaw

Does it say rectified on the box ?
Do you have evidence that they were sold as rectified?
Rectified are, by definition , all the same.

Reaction score
Surely Porcelanosa must have a returns policy? Although they are obviously not great (especially for the price you probably paid) they will almost definitely fall within the (generous) tolerances allowed.

I had a customer who paid in excess of £80/m for Porcelanosa tiles and they were almost as sizey as BCT ones. With excellent care and skill from his tiler (and a slightly larger grout joint than originally planned) they came up a treat. He did feel he hadn't received any value for money and maybe should've bought rectified tiles from a local independent for half the price . . . .

Simon Dale

TF
Esteemed
Supporter
Reaction score
Uncle Ray Porcel-Thin is a good option. 1200x600 affordable spot on size wise. If you say I sent you he will charge you more Lol

Simon Dale

TF
Esteemed
Supporter
Reaction score
I suppose technically they are. I think they do that to stop chipping ? You can go into any tile shop and see a rectified tile it don't look like that !! A 60x60 usually ends up bing 598x598 or smaller. You could ask @Lee@TileTown

OP
W

WetSaw

At that price I would expect rectified tiles to be exactly that and I wouldn't accept that quality. You may need to speak to someone further up the food chain.

OP
Q

Qwerty

Can you post up pics of the back side of 2 or 4 tiles please. This is the usual tell tale sign of ripping down large tiles

OP
F

Flintstone

In my opinion, they are sold as, and bought as a premium tile for that class of tile, and what you have received isn’t a premium finish. I wouldn’t accept it.

OP
P

P993

Agree. I’m just worried they are going to be difficult about returns, at least if their first reaction is anything to go by.

OP
P

P993

At that price I would expect rectified tiles to be exactly that and I wouldn't accept that quality. You may need to speak to someone further up the food chain.

Agree. Hence was wondering if anyone has advice in terms of how to handle.

Reaction score
You are legally entitled to return items bought without explanation for I think 30 days
You actually have no legal right of return - unless there is a fault with the product/description/the way it was sold. I think that if these are sold as a rectified tile - then the customer has every right to return the tile.

I would certainly take that tile back if I sold it as rectified.

OP
P

P993

Thanks. That is the plan!

Just spoke to Uncle Ray. Breath of fresh air. Very honest and sincere chap, who knows his stuff. Gonna try and pop in tomorrow.

OP
P

P993

Yes. Problem is that they were delivered more than 7 days ago.

Can I ask, would anyone be prepared to give me an expert opinion that the tiles are not rectified?

Just as I’m going to contact my credit card company and will need evidence to support the fact that the tiles are not as described (ie. are not rectified).

Thx

Simon Dale

TF
Esteemed
Supporter
Reaction score
Measure the tiles. If they're not square they're not rectified, simple!
Beg to differ there. Had some from UAE rectified well out of square !! Social media is a good place to put things on. If I get a lot excuses my Mrs goes on their page and rants ! They usually sort the problem. An Email to the MD works as well.

OP
P

P993

Does rectified mean the edge is square (edge to top surface) or the corner (edge to edge) ? Or both ?

Reply to New member needs help with Porcelanosa in the UK Tiling Forum | Tiling Advice area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

Replies you've not seen

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dazzer