Discuss Liquid Damp proofing Old Floor in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

D

Drifterjoe

Hi Guys,
Ripped up some tiles on an old floor today. Some of the tiles were came up very easily and there was a very slight damp feel.

It's obviously very minor rising damp as the tiles have been down 30 odd years.

I've looked at the mapei epoxy dpm but it's pricy and only need a very small amount as the affected area is small and the damp isn't that bad.

Any advice on a cheaper alternative that I can tile over? Whatever I use I'm going to SLC over the whole floor afterwards.

Cheers

D

Drifterjoe

Hi thanks for that.

Anyone know if this would be suitable?

Sika Waterproof Coating Grey 5kg - https://www.NoLinksToThis/p/sika-waterproof-coating-grey-5kg/83502?tc=HB9&ds_rl=1249484&ds_rl=1245250&gclid=CjwKCAiAmb7RBRATEiwA7kS8VEBJTzh0Vy4XhQLyltXAifY9B7hrn512VjPP0kf7kwGhcsZCbBsIXRoCSi4QAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds&dclid=CIGW1KmWhNgCFSki0wodbhMIRA

Sika waterproof coating. It's cement based so if I Primed it then SLC over the top would it be ok? I only need to treat about 1m2 of the floor.

D

Dumbo

Hi thanks for that.

Anyone know if this would be suitable?

Sika Waterproof Coating Grey 5kg - https://www.NoLinksToThis/p/sika-waterproof-coating-grey-5kg/83502?tc=HB9&ds_rl=1249484&ds_rl=1245250&gclid=CjwKCAiAmb7RBRATEiwA7kS8VEBJTzh0Vy4XhQLyltXAifY9B7hrn512VjPP0kf7kwGhcsZCbBsIXRoCSi4QAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds&dclid=CIGW1KmWhNgCFSki0wodbhMIRA

Sika waterproof coating. It's cement based so if I Primed it then SLC over the top would it be ok? I only need to treat about 1m2 of the floor.
Phone sika technical then when they tell you it's alright ( if they do ) get them to email you a method statement .

F

Flintstone

0B636C85-88BB-49C5-8891-E346B76B3C2E.jpeg I’ve used the Tilemaster dpm and it sets like rock. It’s not cheap tho, but do it once and do it right.

Bond

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Cement based tanking systems such as sika , can be used in this situation. However if you are confident that rising damp is minor and won’t transfer or increase any, you could prime concrete with a couple of coats of SBR (moisture and salt resistant)
Coupled with a quality Slc, and tile adhesive - in such a small area, it should be fine.

D

Dumbo

If you do as above your levelling comp should be moisture tolerant . Something like arditex na or ultra level it 2. Some levellers will expand with moisture contact and fail .

Bond

TF
Arms
Reaction score
You can also use the SBR as an additive to slc and tile adhesive, this will improve moisture resistance increase durability and flexibility of cement based products.

Glynn

TF
Esteemed
Reaction score
I am not sure adding SBR to anyone's levellers is a good idea, we would not recommend it with any of our levellers. If you need a leveller, use a moisture tolerant one that is designed specifically to work with moisture as jcrtiling has said. You could tile direct to the concrete with the correct adhesive as some tile adhesives are moisture tolerant and will allow the moisture to pass through them but themselves are impervious to the moisture and the moisture will then migrate through the grout joints.

Bond

TF
Arms
Reaction score
SBR can be used in any cement based product which will improve durability water resistance, strength and flexiability, l use it extensively for over 20 years in all situations , with only positive results. Please tell how you consider it not to be a good idea, interesting to see how you justify your claims?.

Reply to Liquid Damp proofing Old Floor in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawz84
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks