Search the forum,

Discuss Liquid Damp proofing Old Floor in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

Glynn

TF
Esteemed
Reaction score
SBR can be used in any cement based product which will improve durability water resistance, strength and flexiability, l use it extensively for over 20 years in all situations , with only positive results. Please tell how you consider it not to be a good idea, interesting to see how you justify your claims?.

The reason I have said "I am not sure adding SBR to anyone's levellers is a good idea" is because these products are developed by chemist over a long period of time by mixing up to sixteen different ingredients together testing them, adding ingredients, taking ingredients out, finding out that this ingredient does not work with that ingredient and changing ingredients again until after many many monthes of testing and field trials the cement based product has the correct balance and ratio of ingredients that all work together, so the produt will work and do has it was intended to. One of our products has 50 grams per 1,000kg batch, so upsetting the balance would not be to difficult. By adding SBR you also run the risk of altering the rheology of the product, which in a leveller can affect the flow rate and suface finish and with an adhesive will make it thicker and in some cases harder to serrate out. Adding SBR, or any other polymer or chemical without first checking the suitability with the manufacturer could easily upset the delicate balance of the ingredient and in the extreme, could cause an adverse reaction and a product failure. If you feel the need to add anything to a product to "improve it", would it not be better to choose a higher specification of product in the first place? If you are thinking of adding anything to cement base products it would be wise to check with the manufacturer first.

Bond

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Thank you for your full and thourer explination.
I have been using SBR as a bonding agent and additive since 1989. Lots of manufacturers of cement based product promote its use. To the OP , l suggested it’s use as a primer , as it is salt and moisture torrerant, with the addition of same to the slc and adhesive. As it’s addition throuout the system - as the active molecules form chain like structures creating a superior bond throughout whilst adding additional water resistance and flexibility to the system. l will personally continue to use it in this way. It’s not always possibly to obtain as you say superior products,not in the highlands anyway ,so we tend to make do and modify, more than our southern friends. Cheers the noo.

Reply to Liquid Damp proofing Old Floor in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
Hi all! Just wondering what the best advice is for book-keeping? Been self employed now for a...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen