Discuss Large tile on the shower floor.. in the Tanking and Wetrooms Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

R

Relit

Hallo all, I tought may be I get some advise from this great forum.

I have been offered a job for a small bathroom, appr. 1,8 x 1,8m floor area, to be tiled with 60x60cm tiles, same tiles to wall / floor.

Also, I need to make a slope to the drainage, its the "linear" model near the wall.

I have not done shower floors with such large tiles before, what you think, should I just refuse, to avoid problems later or is it not so bad as I think it is ?

Thanks who finds time to reply or gives some advice or ideas from their own experience.

L

LM

To be honest if you don’t have any idea of the task in front of you in this instance then for this particular job I think you should give it a miss. Wet rooms aren’t something that you can just take a chance on if you have the customers best interests at heart. Maybe you should spend some time on this forum and YouTube researching wetroom instalations and ask plenty of questions until you reach the point were you are confident you can deliver what a customer will expect.

O

One Day

My brother-in-law is a pretty good tiler/plumber but hadn't tackled a wet room floor before.
He called me on the day he was about to begin, expecting me to verbally teach him and explain everything over the phone.
Things that have taken a lot of experience to learn.
Needless to say, I had to travel up a few days later and re-tile the lot for him.
Wet room floors have ZERO room for error.
I would suggest you pass this one, but try and watch an experienced tiler fit one out. You will learn more from watching and asking why and how.

W

Waluigi

When Wet Rooms first became available to the mainstream in the UK it was mainly dominated by Impey Aquadec. I remember looking into it all way back then. It consumed me for months.

Wet rooms take a phenomenal amount of research.

I’ve had two wet rooms in my own houses and actually prefer a shower tray now. Some of them look nicer and are level access anyway. Not particularly helpful I know.

Oh God I just remembered that Tilesafe membrane stuff. *shudders*

W

Waluigi

I had two disasters with that stuff. One on a freezing cold day. Another on a boiling hot day.

Looking back at the hot day I can smile now but At the time I was stressed out.

R

Relit

Thanks for scaring :)

Not that it matters regards quality but its not direct customer, working via middle man and he is desparate that I do it, due to low price I asked I guess...

The drain has been connected, waterproofing they also promised to do themselves, before that, I have to even the floor + create the slope, and this is the worrying part, slope + large tile.

Should I give gradient to the whole floor or just the shower part..

You must know those situations, when you have agreed to do a job that just seem not right at some point :)

Capture.JPG

F

Flintstone

How are you expected to create a slope and a flat floor on a room that’s tanked and ready to tile? There needs to be a pre formed tray fitted to create the fall. Sounds like a disaster waiting to happen

W

Waluigi

I read it like that initially, Localtiler but after re-reading, it does say the slope is being created before waterproofing....

You would usually lay a thin pre sloped board within the shower area and the rest of the room is level this board will have other a drain roughly in the centre, offset or a linear drain. A few others are available but they are he main types

Once you know the system he is buying then that will help you understand how it all works.

Hopefully he’s not expecting you to creat your own slopes to drain. This is something that is difficult to do, not impossible, it just complicates things immensely. A pre formed tray is by far the easiest method.

Reply to Large tile on the shower floor.. in the Tanking and Wetrooms Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawz84
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks