Discuss How long does primer take to dry? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

G

garrybibson

Hi guys, i am starting my first floor tiling project (my own bathroom and toilet) and this site has been a great help so far.

I have applied SBR bond to my plywood, but i wanted to know how long i have to wait before i can start tiling, i am using BAL rapidset flexible adhesive with 600x300 porceline tiles.

I really want to get the tiles on today so the plumber can fit the basin on top tomorrow, i am already behind as i was originally going to prime with PVA last night, but due to reading threads here i delayed that and bought some BAL SBR bond this morning.

Any help greatly appreciated for this novice.

Barry

D

Deleted member 9966

45 minutes to an hour usually depending on the size of the floor barry. I've used an electric heater and a hair dryer to get my primer to dry quicker when I tiled my hallway a couple of months ago :thumbsup:

Last edited by a moderator:
D

diamondtiling

Hi Barry, :welcome:
The more coats you give the longer it takes, I would give it at least two. I always ask this when the surface is ply, is it really solid with no deflection at all, what is the thickness?

:thumbsup:

Last edited by a moderator:
G

garrybibson

it is only 9mm ply (was advised in b&q this was ok, i know now from reading here this is too thin), to be fair i have tongue and groove floorboards and the area i am tiling is only 0.8mx1.7m, so it is pretty rigid. i have screwed down and there no notible movement, do you think this will be ok?

When i offer the tiles up i do get a bit of wobble but 1-2mm at most.

D

diamondtiling

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news Barry but I think that's too thin mate, 18mm is the thinnest I would fit but its your call, a bit more prep now saves wasted money later.
B and Q have told you wrong, go back mate and tell them to pay for your wasted time and money Grrrrrr!!

:mad2::mad2:

G

garrybibson

cheers mate. Sorry to ask more questions but do you reckon I can put another 9mm ply on top of the existing 9mm or have I got to take the lot up?

D

diamondtiling

That would be better than the existing 9mm, glue and screw it at 200mm centres, might seem close but I always screw to those dimensions, cover the whole area with a wood contact glue before laying the second sheet or use pink grip fill, it wont go anywhere

R

Rufus Roughcut

Hi guys, i am starting my first floor tiling project (my own bathroom and toilet) and this site has been a great help so far.

I have applied SBR bond to my plywood, but i wanted to know how long i have to wait before i can start tiling, i am using BAL rapidset flexible adhesive with 600x300 porceline tiles.

I really want to get the tiles on today so the plumber can fit the basin on top tomorrow, i am already behind as i was originally going to prime with PVA last night, but due to reading threads here i delayed that and bought some BAL SBR bond this morning.

Any help greatly appreciated for this novice.

Barry

Bal don't advise priming the surface of your plywood do they ? whoever advised you to not use PVA was right but gave you a bum steer in priming ply with Bal stuff, these people giving out advice need to get it straight. Priming with SBR won't much matter other than it's a waste of time and money, totally unneccesary and slows you down, waiting for it to dry and then the setting time is slowed .

Rufus

R

Rufus Roughcut

Hi Barry, :welcome:
The more coats you give the longer it takes, I would give it at least two. I always ask this when the surface is ply, is it really solid with no deflection at all, what is the thickness?

Diamond, why are you priming the plywood ? any reason I don't know about ?

Rufus

D

DHTiling

You need to follow the adhesive manufactuers instructions for priming plywood...

Some do not advise it and some do.....so always read the bag or spec sheet.

D

diamondtiling

Diamond, why are you priming the plywood ? any reason I don't know about ?

Rufus

I have no idea why you don't prime, as Dave has said I follow the manufacturers advice. Some time ago I stuck a tile to ply with primer applied and another with no primer on the same ply. The one without primer pinged off with a scraper, the one with primer did not. That's why I do it and no-one has called me with a failed installation as of yet.

Reply to How long does primer take to dry? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawz84
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks