Discuss Floor tile layout advice please in the America area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Reaction score
I have a small kitchen with a floor area of 265cm x 140cm with the door recess adding another 20 cm to the length & I have tiles that are 120cm x 20cm. I will be coating the floor with an SBR primer first because of the bitumen on there & I have some old glue residue to remove first from stuck down lino

20230709_125104.jpg

Where should I start the whole first tile?

I can have the whole tile into the outside door recess with the next tight into the wall, this would leave an approximate half & quarter cuts s at the door into my dining room

20230709_123843.jpg

20230709_124105.jpg

I can have the whole tile into the outside door recess & the next tile at the middle of this tile so there is a half cut next tile into the door, & a smaller one, around a quarter tile to the wall & this would be a whole tile by the dining room door & around a half cut on the tile next to it as well

20230709_123943.jpg

20230709_124208.jpg

Which way would you tile the room?

I will be using KA SBR bond co-polymer to seal the bitumen as I can get a 1 litter from Wickes. What tile adhesive should I use for these long tiles, what gap should there be between them & what size adhesive trowel would you recommend

Thanks

Phil

Reaction score
Hi Phil, to start with you need special primer to be able to tile onto bitumen either blue grit or kerakoll kera grip.

Regarding layout never centre planks as they are usually bowed and will result in tiles not being flush. As they are wood effect you wanna lay it random so every row you start where ever you want too as that is how a wood floor is set out.

Width ways is the only way you gotta worry about with marking it out so either centre the area or centre of the door but just make sure it gives you big cuts into the walls and doors.

Reply to Floor tile layout advice please in the America area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Apatel
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks