Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss HOW do these people call themselves professionals.... in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Reaction score
More shocking discoveries on my slow bathroom "renovation" Why would you use flimsy steel studs in a bathroom? This to support sheathing, plasterboard and tile on top.... Is this right or should It have been timber studs? Should I replace these studs with wood. I will be using cement board 12mm and 30 x 10 tiles.

Any help appreciated guys.
20180308_085934.jpg

Bathfix Bob

TF
Arms
Reaction score
New build houses use them or 'prefabs' as I call them. Not really proper houses just a few bits of plasterboard hammered together with a £400,00 price tag.

They will probably say its a fire risk using wood, but they do it because its quick and cheap.

Reaction score
New build houses use them or 'prefabs' as I call them. Not really proper houses just a few bits of plasterboard hammered together with a £400,00 price tag.

They will probably say its a fire risk using wood, but they do it because its quick and cheap.
Then they would be idiots in saying that, because they use wood for the floor and ceiling joists all of which have wires and such ruining throughout So yep, just to cut costs...

F

Flintstone

I went to look at a job in a basement conversion a couple of weeks ago, wasn’t boarded at the time but they had used those metal
Studs, you could twist them and shake them easily.

T

Tommcd

It's called gypframe and I don't think there's any need to change the studwork at all unless it's been damaged in some way.

B

Blunt Tool

My house has galvanised steel frame partition walls, it’s just a quick way of building partition walls off site for kit houses. Still better than living in caves I suppose.

Reaction score
I have fit these "speedframe" stud systems before, they are really flimsy until you fit the plasterboard over them, then the plasterboard itself becomes partly structural, absolute sh*te in my opinion unless it needs to be a 1 hour fire wall, completely non combustible!
Agree with @callatiler , it surprises me that they used real ply, its often OSB (not sure if that is better or worse than ply TBH)

Reaction score
I have fit these "speedframe" stud systems before, they are really flimsy until you fit the plasterboard over them, then the plasterboard itself becomes partly structural, absolute sh*te in my opinion unless it needs to be a 1 hour fire wall, completely non combustible!
Agree with @callatiler , it surprises me that they used real ply, its often OSB (not sure if that is better or worse than ply TBH)

They must have been cowboys or muppets.

macten

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Hate uncovering them.
Best option is stud it out proper if space allows
433C9931-7737-4E7C-9F56-257B1E254A35.jpeg

Reply to HOW do these people call themselves professionals.... in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
mcgtech
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks