Currently reading:
How best to Tile a room?

Discuss How best to Tile a room? in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

I

Italy

See now I don't agree. :D
I'm not talking about this job in particular, I'm talking generally. A room doesn't always look best centred imo. A room looks best with the overall effect being pleasing, and if that means hiding a cut under a sofa, then so be it.
I'm not saying this is the best set out for this room, but I can see the merit of looking from the main door or hallway and seeing 3 full tiles across the opening and down into the family room.
I feel that a room of this size is difficult to see as a whole once you're in it, you can't actually see it all within your field of view.
So does centralising it really matter?
Surely you want impact?
So as you enter a property and look through you want to see it for its best, cos once you're in the room it's too big to take it in all at once.
So in some instances I'd be happy to put a smaller cut where it'll be covered with furniture if the rest gave a better effect. But that's just me. :)
for me it is normal, the more you have the entire tile for the expansion joint, without cutting tiles.
but this, this is the praxis in an apartment with furniture to one side.
different matter, when it comes to shops or larger environments.

widler

TF
Esteemed
Arms
England
Well I will eat my hat, I wish I could go through all the posts on here where you lot always advise to centre the room , and to make it look symmetrical, cuts the same at either end etc.
is it because Ive advised it ? , bit of a joke if I'm honest.
Trusted advises giving shoddy advice imo , I can't wait until his bloody wife says " no no , I don't want the settee there , it looks odd .
Good morning by the way ,

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Gloucester
Well I will eat my hat, I wish I could go through all the posts on here where you lot always advise to centre the room , and to make it look symmetrical, cuts the same at either end etc.
is it because Ive advised it ? , bit of a joke if I'm honest.
Trusted advises giving shoddy advice imo , I can't wait until his bloody wife says " no no , I don't want the settee there , it looks odd .
Good morning by the way ,
20161202_061625.png

widler

TF
Esteemed
Arms
England
Doesn't really matter, we don't live there, if that's what the client wants, that's what a client gets.
We're taught to centre everything, don't mean it's always right.
bull Marc, we are here to advise how to do it the right way , imo and every person I know, centring the room is the right advice , wizard, don't bother listening to advice any more, do it as you like my friend

T

Time's Ran Out

At the end of the day it is a personal opinion as to which way looks the best.
Sometimes we are instructed to set out against our advice and other times we make the decision. A lot can be dependant on the design of the tile and the need to follow a pattern around ( such as book match) and the colour of a travertine piece.
All I'am saying is putting a bit of furniture over the tiling is not one of the factors that would decide my setting out!

O

Old Mod

At the end of the day it is a personal opinion as to which way looks the best.
Sometimes we are instructed to set out against our advice and other times we make the decision. A lot can be dependant on the design of the tile and the need to follow a pattern around ( such as book match) and the colour of a travertine piece.
All I'am saying is putting a bit of furniture over the tiling is not one of the factors that would decide my setting out!
I think you're taking things to an extreme there John in the way you're deciding to translate previous posts.
If the guy is in, what he considers to be his home for life, and he wants to see 3 full tiles throw the main entrance to his kitchen, but it leave a smaller cut to one side, which will be hidden amongst fixtures and fittings, why the hell not?
How far have you got to stand back to see a room
4-5m wide and be able to take it in within your peripheral vision?
Saying a space has to be centred without exception is just short sighted and not what we're paid to do.
We're there to give the client what he wants and the best possible finish.
When have you walked off a job because you weren't allowed to centre a room? Haha

M

mp3wizard

Morning all, makes a change for me not to be centre of an argument. I understand that it is the done thing to centralise it usually, but there 800mm tiles I'd rather see a full a tile as possible for majority of room, rather than make 2 cuts, I know there will be some furniture on that side but it's not all about hiding it, I personally don't see it being terrible, needs to be cut somewhere, that would mean having a cut by bifolds and entrance, I'd rather just have a cut by bifolds. My bathroom is extremely small so again being able to see huge tiles going under bath with fewer visible cuts would be my preference, and same for kitchen, as cabinets will be sat over perimeter.

T

Time's Ran Out

I think you're taking things to an extreme there John in the way you're deciding to translate previous posts.
If the guy is in, what he considers to be his home for life, and he wants to see 3 full tiles throw the main entrance to his kitchen, but it leave a smaller cut to one side, which will be hidden amongst fixtures and fittings, why the hell not?
How far have you got to stand back to see a room
4-5m wide and be able to take it in within your peripheral vision?
Saying a space has to be centred without exception is just short sighted and not what we're paid to do.
We're there to give the client what he wants and the best possible finish.
When have you walked off a job because you weren't allowed to centre a room? Haha
Not sure if you even read my post with this reply!

John Benton

TF
Arms
Leeds
Who's
Morning all, makes a change for me not to be centre of an argument. I understand that it is the done thing to centralise it usually, but there 800mm tiles I'd rather see a full a tile as possible for majority of room, rather than make 2 cuts, I know there will be some furniture on that side but it's not all about hiding it, I personally don't see it being terrible, needs to be cut somewhere, that would mean having a cut by bifolds and entrance, I'd rather just have a cut by bifolds. My bathroom is extremely small so again being able to see huge tiles going under bath with fewer visible cuts would be my preference, and same for kitchen, as cabinets will be sat over perimeter.
You will have to make 2 cuts, if you come square off the bi-fold doors

T

Tile Shop

I'm not even going to pretend that my advise is up there with other time served Tilers in terms of setting out as I haven't had to do it often. But, if I had centred my kitchen floor tiling to the whole room, I would have had a 2 inch slither in front of my units on one side and almost a full tile on the other. Would have looked poo. So I centred it from the main focal point and the largest visible area.

Now the only visible "slither" is 4 inches wide in front of a stepped door way right opposite another door so you do see it when you enter the room from one end. There are also some short cuts at one end of the room that you can't see because of a fridge and a dining table. But its the lesser of two evils. Better than having a 2 metre long, 50mm wide turd in the kitchen. Nothing is going to get moved around in the near future, and my missus is happy with it.

O

Old Mod

Ok John I'll apologise,I may have focused on your last sentence more than the whole post.
Bit of a knee jerk reaction on my part.
My intention was to say that, the fact that furniture will be covering that side of the room isn't really being considered as a setting out factor, it's being considered more as a compromise to give the overall desired effect.
I'll try not to respond in haste cos I'm walking out the door in future. :)

B

Bill

I don't centre any floor. I just tile it how it will look best for the tiles and room. If that means starting with a full tile from the rooms focal point then so be it, the same can be said if I centre it. Unless you are tiling a repetitive area then each job should be set out on its own merits.

Now that is the best advice on this subject and I expect a trusted advisor badge forthwith.

I

Italy

I don't centre any floor. I just tile it how it will look best for the tiles and room. If that means starting with a full tile from the rooms focal point then so be it, the same can be said if I centre it. Unless you are tiling a repetitive area then each job should be set out on its own merits.

Now that is the best advice on this subject and I expect a trusted advisor badge forthwith.
I can give you mine if you want...:) I do not need, I'm already over the badge green ;)

Reply to How best to Tile a room? in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I have moved into a new house and want to tile the downstairs bathroom walls. Its not a big room but my wife likes the idea of a feature wall tile and then a grey / white tile on the other 3...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm new to the forum and fairly new to tiling, my only previous "proper" job was my recent bathroom (600x600 porcelain, about 25m walls and floors) which went pretty well. I'm now having a go...
Replies
Views
  • Suggestion
Post a New Thread for Each Tiling Job Completed. Rather than using the Show us Your Work Thread - which has more than 500,000 views, and thousands of posts to scroll through - we thought it would...
Replies
Views
Hello there, Relatively recently we had a new en-suite fitted (complete rip out of the old fittings, and old wall tiles and floor carpet). This consisted of a quadrant shower enclosure, a...
Replies
Views
Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you have shower leakage that goes downstairs leading to either your main floor or basement? Read this blog...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.

Advertisement