Discuss How best to Tile a room? in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

F

Flintstone

Also, I would put the spirit level on and check for any real high or low spots before you get the wires down, I find that easier

D

Dumbo

I think 3 fall has covered most of it for you.
I wouldn't mix brands at all just get more of the same. Better to get more than you need as if you run out that will be a real pain.
I wouldn't walk all over wires with spiked shoes personally. I use a spiked roller with an extendable painters pole which goes to about 3m long when it's extended, that's normally plenty, it really really helps to spread it out nice. If you do need to get down and trowel it, I normally just tickle it with a large notch trowel so your only moving 50% of it with a sweep, if not you end up just moving the slc away and causing more problems than your solving.
I always mix a full bag at a time, then when it's ready to pour I pour about half into a normal size bucket so it's more manageable then I pour it in a line etc so it's not all getting poured in one big heap
I also use extendable deco pole really good tool for this

M

mp3wizard

So I've used the scrim tape and covered the joints, looking to lay the mats out tomorrow and do the compound, I am quite apprehensive about this, but I'll be following everything to the letter, one issue is that my only water source is in the kitchen which needs to be one of the first areas to do, maybe I'll see if I can connect a hose to mix in the other room, also I am wondering if I should fit a wood batten at edge of room as other room has wooden boards with biggish gaps.
image.jpg
image.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
F

Flintstone

You will need some sort of Baton on the end there where the floorboards are and you will neeed plenty of water! Outside tap would be ideal

O

Old Mod

if you can't attach a hose pipe to a neighbours outside tap, go to B&Q and buy 10 buckets for £10.
That'll be enough for your slc.
And as Andrew says, block up every escape route you can find. Esp doorways.

M

mp3wizard

I've laid out the 16 metres of mats avoiding future cabinets and where sofa will be and not going to close to door, and from my current layout I am about 3 metres short, I don't have enough matting to go in bathroom and near the start of the room, if I space the main runs of mats further apart I could probably make it work, would there be adequate heat coming threw the to the tiles if say I double the space inbetween mats in the main room? Or should I just bite the billet and order a bit more? There's already 6 wires from the 2 mats for electrician to wire in I doubt know if 9 wires would be too much...

M

mp3wizard

Seems like a junction box is needed for more than 2 mats, I'll see if I can rejig the layout

F

Flintstone

Imo if you start spacing them out a lot to stretch it you will have cool spots and reduce the over all effect, I would just get another kit and get the floor properly covered.

widler

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Me, i would just leave it , how often are you going to be stood in one spot? You probably will have a mate who will say " oh its 2 degrees colder here, just kick him out ;)
Also the heat will spread around im sure , the whole tile will warm up .
Just sod it and slc it, or your gonna be here next new year :)

widler

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
ok, id even do away with the eufh, its *****, Absulute bag of *****. Ive got a 45 m2 tiled floor in my extension, just put woodburner on and its boiling , and it aint costing me £15 a day to runthe bloody thing.
Can you tell im a northern plasterer as well ;)

Reply to How best to Tile a room? in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawz84
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks