Discuss Hollow Sounds and Space under edge of tiles? in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

B

Bill

tiles will sound hollow until the adhesive is set hard ........even if they are back buttered

C

Chris101

So got home a short while back and had a closer look at the tiles (attached) -
Not sure what to say....

20170905_205421.jpg 20170905_205426.jpg 20170905_205436.jpg 20170905_205449.jpg 20170905_205458.jpg 20170905_205509.jpg 20170905_165611.jpg 20170905_165626.jpg 20170905_165635.jpg 20170905_165709.jpg 20170905_165712.jpg 20170905_165740.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
C

Chris101

nothing...
I know its still wrong and will need to speak to the owner of the construction company again tomorrow...
Not happy!

C

Chris101

Tiler finished this evening...
There are some tiny holes within the grout line at present but it is still drying.
Is this something to be concerned about?

F

Flintstone

Be carefull with that Valspar scrubable paint, it can grow bacteria it if once it's on the wall and start to smell of cat wee! It's happened to me and it was in the paper

Profix

TF
Reaction score
Filming every tradesmen !!
What's the world coming to.
Don't know about anyone else but that leaves a funny taste in my mouth.. :(
Aye me too, would have been better employing a reputable project manager if that's the way you see the world, lots of things going on here that is completely wrong and not just the "tiler"

Profix

TF
Reaction score
Thank you for all your responses.
Going forward, what would you advise we do?

Should we have a self levelling compound and decoupling membrane installed?
The contract does state a decoupling membrane should have been put down however this clearly is not the case...

I am also not sure if the decoupling membrane does anything to level the floor?

The concrete, wet underfloor pipes and screed on top was all laid 1 month ago.
How many quality tiling contractors did you seek advice and costings from before you started the job, if the contract states de-coupling then why not on the first day you checked this guys work and clearly saw no de-coupling was getting used ask him for the reason, it's all a bit late to be thinking about self levelling, de-coupling and all other good practices after the job is done

Brian the Tile

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Maybe not what you want to hear but i would come in and smash the lot up with a hammer as for the secret filming i think you are well out of order,if you didnt trust them why let them in the house in the first place,like has been said there is a funny smell about with this one

D

dave l and l

dont know if would be smashing it up with a hammer , the filming wasnt secret i think he informed them that he was doing it,
apart from that are you happy with the job the tiler has left

C

Chris101

How many quality tiling contractors did you seek advice and costings from before you started the job, if the contract states de-coupling then why not on the first day you checked this guys work and clearly saw no de-coupling was getting used ask him for the reason, it's all a bit late to be thinking about self levelling, de-coupling and all other good practices after the job is done
The decoupling membrane was not put down while the work was going on but as you can see from the posts after, after discussing the issues, a decoupling membrane was put down...

C

Chris101

dont know if would be smashing it up with a hammer , the filming wasnt secret i think he informed them that he was doing it,
apart from that are you happy with the job the tiler has left
Correct, the filming was actually an idea I got from the construction companies website and had full consent from them.
The cameras were already being used as security cameras while we were out of the house!
After looking at their website and seeing a project that was videoed from start to finish, I got the idea and then sought approval first...

Since the tiling has been complete, it looks great!
We were just apprehensive as we knew too well from last time that while the completed job will look good from the surface, if correct procedures have not been followed, in the future it will all fall apart...

D

Deleted member 49260

Surely if no-one has anything to hide then cameras or not makes no difference - I always think the civil liberties mob are hiding something (or are trying to...)
I've seen people pee in a water tank on camera, appear with a squirrel nest in a bucket (as it went up on roof from van in the bucket) and even appear with asbestos dust from a back pocket (and that's really dumb if it's the same colour as your jeans).

AND I'd be really impressed to see an artisan at work - who loses that matters?

Reply to Hollow Sounds and Space under edge of tiles? in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawz84
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks