Discuss Hollow Sounds and Space under edge of tiles? in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

C

Chris101

Picture of progress today.

After a bit of a heated (from his side) discussion he agreed to put down dural dura membrane and self level compound near the door to level things out.

He disagreed his tiler had done anything wrong and as he had used him on a number of jobs, there was no way the tiles could be lifted of impacted.
I pointed him to the direction of the contract where it clearly stated the membrane was required however he believed as we have under floor heating, it would impact it!

Anyway we talked him through the proof as to why it was required and the advise many of you gave on this forum and he finally 'reluctantly' agreed to get some while saying he just wanted to get through our job!

He then tried lifting up a tile, quite aggressively and within 5-10seconds the whole tile was lifted without any screed or damage to it.

I managed to calm him down at the end of it and ended on a good note but he clearly thought we was just making things difficult.
We cannot afford to get this wrong again hence we are so anxious and worried, hopefully all will be ok now...

Kitchen_2017-09-04_160338.png

C

Chris101

That's good you putting Dural ci mat , but make sure his fixing will be ok .
Builders left for the day so went to check how they got on.
Held a 1meter spirit level against some areas of the floor that had the Dural put down and there are still some areas that are uneven - 2mm-3mm.

Can this be an issue?

F

Flintstone

I would get a different tiler, some one proven who can do the job properly. Although you have Dural down, his fixing methods aren't going to change. The builder pulled one up in 10 seconds and I am not at all supprised.

Albert

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Builders left for the day so went to check how they got on.
Held a 1meter spirit level against some areas of the floor that had the Dural put down and there are still some areas that are uneven - 2mm-3mm.

Can this be an issue?
Not to a tiler ;)

C

Chris101

I would get a different tiler, some one proven who can do the job properly. Although you have Dural down, his fixing methods aren't going to change. The builder pulled one up in 10 seconds and I am not at all supprised.
A little difficult as we took out a project with this construction to re-do the whole kitchen (strip out, flooring, tiling, UFH, re-plumbing, electrics, lighting and decorating) and some other jobs like replace our front windows and radiators.
Currently we have no kitchen (it has been 4 weeks since we sold our old kitchen) and the new kitchen is coming from abroad and will be delivered/installed in 3-4 weeks time.
Lastly we have a baby due in 5 weeks, so literally all is touch and go!

We purposely chose this company as they provide industry recognised guarantee's, they are apart of Trust Mark/FMB, they had the most detailed quotes out of the many we received and they all had good references from their previous customers....

D

Dumbo

I had fmb or gmc ring me up once can't remember which one . I only had to supply them with references and pictures of work which they weren't going to check were my pictures and also that the references weren't from people I know . The main thing is they just want your builders money to be on their register

F

Flintstone

Seriously Chris, look at that tile they have taken up, It's almost reusable. If the same tiler is tiling it again, with the same methods it's almost certain to fail imo.

D

Dumbo

Seriously Chris, look at that tile they have taken up, It's almost reusable. If the same tiler is tiling it again, with the same methods it's almost certain to fail imo.
Agreed if I have had to reuse tiles I've had to grind adhesive off the back

John Benton

TF
Arms
Reaction score
I can't recall ever being able to lift a floor tile that I've fitted in one piece. They should break into pieces if fixed correctly once the adhesive has set.

C

Chris101

Progress pic of today.
Spoke to the main construction company owner today and he assured me to give the tiler another go and what needs to get done, will get done and if still not happy at the end of it they will re-do to get right.

So the Tiler today finished laying the dural dura matting, taped the lines and started to tile but this time was back buttering and bedding them down.
I watched a Bal Video of how to tile and it was more or less the same method the tiler was doing.

I have only seen the birds eye pic however will need to inspect any voids under the tiles when I get home...

Kitchen_2017-09-05_163040.png

Last edited by a moderator:
S

Spare Tool

Progress pic of today.
Spoke to the main construction company owner today and he assured me to give the tiler another go and what needs to get done, will get done and if still not happy at the end of it they will re-do to get right.

So the Tiler today finished laying the dural dura matting, taped the lines and started to tile but this time was back buttering and bedding them down.
I watched a Bal Video of how to tile and it was more or less the same method the tiler was doing.
Hopefully things will go in the right direction now

View attachment 93248
All good then, well done in sticking to your guns to make sure correct procedures were followed even if it meant lifting what had been done already...too many come on here asking for help after its too late and jobs finished and paid for

Reply to Hollow Sounds and Space under edge of tiles? in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finias Coroama
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks