Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss Help! in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Dave

TF
Staff member
Arms
Esteemed
Reaction score
I think he has spot fixed and will know when they come off next week. As for the pva why shouldnt he have used it and what should he have done. Thanks

When using a cement based adhesive onto a gypsum background , you have to use an appropriate acrylic primer etc as this helps prevent a reaction between the adhesive and the gypsum backing

Using PVA simply seals the surface and :

A.. Does not prevent ettringnite formation
B.. It as mentioned above forms a skin which when wet , say by the adhesive bedding , becomes live and breaks the bond of the adhesive from the backing.

Spot fixing isn't correct application but not a deffo reason for tiles to debond , my money is on the PVA priming.

J

julie bw

Pictures when can please.......
Hi. One tile was taken off today.it was smashed so didn't have pic of it but here is the wall behind.it has been spot fixed if u can see on pic.also ll ok at the gap between the wall and other tiles.isnt this wrong? In one part you can push the measure 25 inches under the tiles before it hits any adhesive! The pics show the marks on the plaster off adhesive, the gaps between wall and tiles to the left, right and above the tile.what do you advise.should the whole wall be taken off and redone. There was also a radiator on the wall and the plumber has said it was because of that. A a a aah!
1455573800204958197161.jpg
14555736994911204232652.jpg
1455573734820-1017846289.jpg
1455573772695627302324.jpg

O

One Day

That's just a dangerous install. All needs to come off. If you went the legal route you'd win easily and quickly. those pictures illustrate perfectly that quality tiling, like beauty, is only skin deep.

J

julie bw

That's just a dangerous install. All needs to come off. If you went the legal route you'd win easily and quickly. those pictures illustrate perfectly that quality tiling, like beauty, is only skin deep.
Thanks for the comments. I will be phoning trading standards tomorrow for advice.

J

julie bw

My other concern is obviously the other three walls.the tiles haven't moved on them at all.

Reply to Help! in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Apatel
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks