Search the forum,

Discuss Full floor prep in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

K

kaharrison9

Evening all
Wondering for your thoughts on the best way to prep a 50sm2 that i may have coming up.
It's an exstension and the floor will be running through the new and old part of the house.The old floor is to be taken up back to the joists
There is going to be a wet ufh system and the buider has suggested chipboarding(18mm) the whole area,laying the ufh on top then 6mm ply screwed over,then tiled.
I suggest hardiebacker 12mm on the joists,then ufh,uncoupling membrane then tile would that be fine or have i missed something obvious?
Possible questions could the 18mm ply replace the cement board?
If fine could ditra go straight over the ufh heating channels filled with adhesive or would a slc be best
Cheers for your thoughts
Kev

K

kaharrison9

the grid system that the pipes fix into 18mm thick is all i know at the moment.

G

Gazzer

Evening all
Wondering for your thoughts on the best way to prep a 50sm2 that i may have coming up.
It's an exstension and the floor will be running through the new and old part of the house.The old floor is to be taken up back to the joists
There is going to be a wet ufh system and the buider has suggested chipboarding(18mm) the whole area,laying the ufh on top then 6mm ply screwed over,then tiled.
I suggest hardiebacker 12mm on the joists,then ufh,uncoupling membrane then tile would that be fine or have i missed something obvious?
Possible questions could the 18mm ply replace the cement board?
If fine could ditra go straight over the ufh heating channels filled with adhesive or would a slc be best
Cheers for your thoughts
Kev

Is this an error ? Are you specifying 12mm Hardibacker straight onto the joists ?????

K

kaharrison9

Not an error,it's what i'm asking before i contact the customer.
Can 12mm cement board go straight onto joists as i would have thought it was more than equal in strength to a similar thickness ply and a more stable background with the heating if possible.
If i'm way off the mark here could you please tell me how you would spec the prepping
Cheers

G

Gazzer

The cement board will not have the strength you require. You will have to use Ply or even chipboard for the strength, preferably the former (Ply)
Now after the UFH system has been installed what do you propose ? Which system is it ? Does it have its own backer boards with grooves for pipes or free lay ?

K

kaharrison9

That's good to find out the cement board hasn't the strength.
Would 18mm ply be enough or needs to be thicker?
As i mentioned to Whitebeam at the moment dont have to much info on the system(talked over the phone) though it does have 18mm boards with grooves for the pipes.
I was thinking of going straight over with an uncoupling membrane,would you?

G

Gazzer

The only way you will know if the floor is strong enough is to try it. If the joists are visiable then why not add extra noggins or even laminate teh sides of the joists with 18mm ply to add strength.

Without knowing the actual scale of the floor its hard to tell. 50m2 could be 25m long and 2m wide ?
If its the polypipe type system the boards need too be fixed to the substrate and then I have in the past used SLC over then Dural Ci then tile.

K

kaharrison9

I am see the customer soon so will have a clearer picture.
Can i ask why do you self level. Is this to bridge over the pipes or for a better surface to tile on?
Could the Dural not go direct onto the substrate using a quality adhesive like Keraquick and at the same time filling the channels with adhesive
Thanks again

R

Rob Z

Hi Kev

It's good to remember "the 4 S's" when deciding what to do on the floor (for you former military men this is not the same as the 3 S's:smilewinkgrin: ).

The four S's:

Size: of the joists
Span: unsupported span of the joists
Spacing: the on-center spacing of the joists
Species: the type of wood

If you are able to determine the above information, it goes a long way towards helping to decide what the best approach is to prep the substrate. There are various "deflectometers" on the web that help to calculate if a floor is suitable for tile or not. I can point you in the right direction if you're interested.

Reply to Full floor prep in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hello there, Relatively recently we had a new en-suite fitted (complete rip out of the old...
Replies
Views
Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen