Currently reading:
Full floor prep

Discuss Full floor prep in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

K

kaharrison9

Evening all
Wondering for your thoughts on the best way to prep a 50sm2 that i may have coming up.
It's an exstension and the floor will be running through the new and old part of the house.The old floor is to be taken up back to the joists
There is going to be a wet ufh system and the buider has suggested chipboarding(18mm) the whole area,laying the ufh on top then 6mm ply screwed over,then tiled.
I suggest hardiebacker 12mm on the joists,then ufh,uncoupling membrane then tile would that be fine or have i missed something obvious?
Possible questions could the 18mm ply replace the cement board?
If fine could ditra go straight over the ufh heating channels filled with adhesive or would a slc be best
Cheers for your thoughts
Kev

G

Gazzer

Evening all
Wondering for your thoughts on the best way to prep a 50sm2 that i may have coming up.
It's an exstension and the floor will be running through the new and old part of the house.The old floor is to be taken up back to the joists
There is going to be a wet ufh system and the buider has suggested chipboarding(18mm) the whole area,laying the ufh on top then 6mm ply screwed over,then tiled.
I suggest hardiebacker 12mm on the joists,then ufh,uncoupling membrane then tile would that be fine or have i missed something obvious?
Possible questions could the 18mm ply replace the cement board?
If fine could ditra go straight over the ufh heating channels filled with adhesive or would a slc be best
Cheers for your thoughts
Kev

Is this an error ? Are you specifying 12mm Hardibacker straight onto the joists ?????

G

Gazzer

The only way you will know if the floor is strong enough is to try it. If the joists are visiable then why not add extra noggins or even laminate teh sides of the joists with 18mm ply to add strength.

Without knowing the actual scale of the floor its hard to tell. 50m2 could be 25m long and 2m wide ?
If its the polypipe type system the boards need too be fixed to the substrate and then I have in the past used SLC over then Dural Ci then tile.

R

Rob Z

Hi Kev

It's good to remember "the 4 S's" when deciding what to do on the floor (for you former military men this is not the same as the 3 S's:smilewinkgrin: ).

The four S's:

Size: of the joists
Span: unsupported span of the joists
Spacing: the on-center spacing of the joists
Species: the type of wood

If you are able to determine the above information, it goes a long way towards helping to decide what the best approach is to prep the substrate. There are various "deflectometers" on the web that help to calculate if a floor is suitable for tile or not. I can point you in the right direction if you're interested.

K

kaharrison9

Actually seeing the customer later this week and the method i propose on top of the bare joists.
Extra noggins where seems needed
18mm wpb ply screwed down on top
The wet system panels then placed down and also screwed down onto the ply and joists
A latex based slc poured over the panels(2-3mm depth) and the pipe channels
Then finally dural ci matting.
Would that sequence appear to give us the best chance for a long tem instalation.
Cheers again

G

Gazzer

Actually seeing the customer later this week and the method i propose on top of the bare joists.
Extra noggins where seems needed
18mm wpb ply screwed down on top
The wet system panels then placed down and also screwed down onto the ply and joists
A latex based slc poured over the panels(2-3mm depth) and the pipe channels
Then finally dural ci matting.
Would that sequence appear to give us the best chance for a long tem instalation.
Cheers again

I would go with Mapei Renovation screed, cheaper than latex based . Good stuff too

G

Gazzer

Will check that out,thanks again.
Was looking at polypipes advise when tiling on top and they just reccommend either tile directly on top with a flexible adhesive or put a 6mm ply down first!
Chatting to a pal who 2 years ago had a polypipe system on a floating floor and he said hardiebacker was screwed on top of the heating panel then tiled and never has had any problems.

As long as the pipe system was covered with either SLC or backer board I would be happy. I would have thought SLC and Ditra /Dural Ci would be cheaper and safer than screwwing boards though and a few mm saving too.

Reply to Full floor prep in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hello there, Relatively recently we had a new en-suite fitted (complete rip out of the old fittings, and old wall tiles and floor carpet). This consisted of a quadrant shower enclosure, a...
Replies
Views
Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you have shower leakage that goes downstairs leading to either your main floor or basement? Read this blog...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.

Advertisement

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside.