Search the forum,

Discuss Full floor prep in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

K

kaharrison9

Hi Rob
That would be certainly an interest.
Not heard of 'deflectometers' before,anything that helps back up a judgement is worth knowing about.
Thanks
Kev

G

Gazzer

Preparation is King...!
I used SLC because the surface that the polypie system gave was not flat due to the roundness of the pipes. Either way the floor has to be flat and the best way is to use SLC.

K

kaharrison9

Fully agree about preparation
One question had the polypipe system been flat and the pipes sunken into the grooves would you have been happy to put dural directly onto the heating boards and fill the void around the pipe and channel with an S1 adhesive.
Thanks for your time SR

G

Gazzer

Not really, no. I feel SLC gives the best surface for Ditra etc. Had you said you wanted to tile direct to polypipe then I may have gone just with adhesive.

K

kaharrison9

Actually seeing the customer later this week and the method i propose on top of the bare joists.
Extra noggins where seems needed
18mm wpb ply screwed down on top
The wet system panels then placed down and also screwed down onto the ply and joists
A latex based slc poured over the panels(2-3mm depth) and the pipe channels
Then finally dural ci matting.
Would that sequence appear to give us the best chance for a long tem instalation.
Cheers again

G

Gazzer

Actually seeing the customer later this week and the method i propose on top of the bare joists.
Extra noggins where seems needed
18mm wpb ply screwed down on top
The wet system panels then placed down and also screwed down onto the ply and joists
A latex based slc poured over the panels(2-3mm depth) and the pipe channels
Then finally dural ci matting.
Would that sequence appear to give us the best chance for a long tem instalation.
Cheers again

I would go with Mapei Renovation screed, cheaper than latex based . Good stuff too

K

kaharrison9

Will check that out,thanks again.
Was looking at polypipes advise when tiling on top and they just reccommend either tile directly on top with a flexible adhesive or put a 6mm ply down first!
Chatting to a pal who 2 years ago had a polypipe system on a floating floor and he said hardiebacker was screwed on top of the heating panel then tiled and never has had any problems.

G

Gazzer

Will check that out,thanks again.
Was looking at polypipes advise when tiling on top and they just reccommend either tile directly on top with a flexible adhesive or put a 6mm ply down first!
Chatting to a pal who 2 years ago had a polypipe system on a floating floor and he said hardiebacker was screwed on top of the heating panel then tiled and never has had any problems.

As long as the pipe system was covered with either SLC or backer board I would be happy. I would have thought SLC and Ditra /Dural Ci would be cheaper and safer than screwwing boards though and a few mm saving too.

Reply to Full floor prep in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can't seem to find a solid answer as I realise so much depends on multiple factors. I'm...
Replies
Views
Hello there, Relatively recently we had a new en-suite fitted (complete rip out of the old...
Replies
Views
Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen