Search the forum,

Discuss Floor Has Tile Lippage, Wall Tiles Going Up In The Morning! Help Please! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

widler

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
a level has been nowhere near that floor! he has just stuck them down!! See this brings me to another point, some so called tilers think because they can mix some adhesive, comb it on the floor, stck i a tile to it then it makes them a tiler!! what the hell happened to using levels, taking some pride! seeing the look on the customers face when you achieve your nearest attempt at perfection??? I would not sleep if i done that work with such a nice tile!! :-(((((

the floor is bad,totally agree.
using levels on some jobs is impossible,as a straight edge,to get the floor flat is fine,but level,as said before no chance.
i have been on jobs where if you level a floor there would be a 6" step at the door,if every floor was flat and level the world would be a better place :drool5:.
ps,if you mean using a level to get a floor flat not level,ignore me:smilewinkgrin:

pps,im certainly not sticking up for this 'tiler',a young lad who works for me would of done a better job,in fact,he would of had too or he would be on the dole:thumbsup:

oh and to the thread starter DO NOT PAY HIM A PENNY

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
not a very good job at all, however, do the right thing and give him the chance to put the floor right, if he succeeds in doing this then i would pay him an agreed sum for the floor ONLY, then tell him his services are no longer required for the rest of the contract.

any money needed to put the floor right should be paid for by him, as he is correcting his own mistakes...

T

Time's Ran Out

Job posted on here but no responses!

I remember seeing something but can't find it in 'looking for a tiler' section, so it must have been in one of your posts. Thought it had a number of views and assumed you'd got sorted.
It's so very disappointing when the work is not to the standard you requested and it certainly leaves a difficult situation to be resolved. No doubt by now 10-00am you've had your tiler round and a decision has been made. Hopefully it is amicable and you will be looking for a new start. Good luck and you can always PM tilers local to you for costings and see their work on their albums in Tilers Forum.

G

Gazzer

I remember seeing something but can't find it in 'looking for a tiler' section, so it must have been in one of your posts. Thought it had a number of views and assumed you'd got sorted.
It's so very disappointing when the work is not to the standard you requested and it certainly leaves a difficult situation to be resolved. No doubt by now 10-00am you've had your tiler round and a decision has been made. Hopefully it is amicable and you will be looking for a new start. Good luck and you can always PM tilers local to you for costings and see their work on their albums in Tilers Forum.

Here it is http://www.tilersforums.com/im-looking-wall-floor-tiler/54070-tiler-required-dereham-norfolk.html

Reaction score
I'm on tenterhooks, what was the outcome actionjackson?

update guys....

To begin with i woukd like to say thanks for the support and reasuring me that my expectaions are realistic.

The tiller arrived at 0830, 30 mins late with no notice even though he is 5mins down the road. Not a good start when you have plans to be somewhere at 0900.

I told him i was dissapointed with the work carried out on the floor and needed an explanation. We looked closely at the "unaceptable" tiles and to begin with he said he would replace them. However as i continued to point the flaws out, he quickly turned around and said "i can walk away if your not happy with my work, lm too old to be falling out with you". He agreed the floor was not right but couldnt explain why. He did point the finger at the 2mm grout line and said if i had gone for a wider joint as he wanted then you wouldnt notice the lippage. We all know what my response was. Then he said the tiles were bowed! I said if thats the case you should have refussed to fit them and told me. These are £55 per mtr tiles and should be perfect or as near as perfect. I told him i had lost confidence in his ability and would alllow him to walk away, but appreciated he had a good reputation so was prepared to accept it was a one off and no hard feelings. I asked how much he wanted bearing in mind he traveled to collect materials, but he didnt no . I said i would have a think and drop it round his house tonight.

I have estimated i need £100 worth of new tiles,£40 of adhesive and 1 days labour (£140??) To remove crap tiles and prepare for retiling. The guy spent 2 days on site and 2 hours collecting materials. What should i give him?

The search is on for a tiler to get me out of this mess!

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
i would say its about evens to be honest, but if you want to give something to cover his fuel picking up the materials thats up to you, i think you have handled the situation admirabley, no one wants or needs a slanging match....

Reply to Floor Has Tile Lippage, Wall Tiles Going Up In The Morning! Help Please! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all, I've laid some Arditex NA over the kitchen floor area (not under cabinets. The area is...
Replies
Views
Hi, I am planning on tiling my concrete garage floor with porcelain tiles. The concrete was laid...
Replies
Views
Hello there, Relatively recently we had a new en-suite fitted (complete rip out of the old...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I am planning to tile a full height panel of split face tiles to sit 3” behind a log...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm new to the forum and fairly new to tiling, my only previous "proper" job was my recent...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen