Search the forum,

Discuss Floor Has Tile Lippage, Wall Tiles Going Up In The Morning! Help Please! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

J

jay

Best to give him a chance to put right at his own expense ,a floor that size should have bugger all lipage ,The set out may work better working from center , and thanks for the pic .

C

charlie1

a level has been nowhere near that floor! he has just stuck them down!! See this brings me to another point, some so called tilers think because they can mix some adhesive, comb it on the floor, stck i a tile to it then it makes them a tiler!! what the hell happened to using levels, taking some pride! seeing the look on the customers face when you achieve your nearest attempt at perfection??? I would not sleep if i done that work with such a nice tile!! :-(((((

C

charlie1

that tile needs nice clean lines more than most, insist its redone and do not pay for that shody attempt! Thats a DIY disaster!

Reaction score
We seem to all be satisfied that the work is nowhere near good enough. Now you need to know what to do from here. All things being fair you should give him a chance to put his work right but in order to do that he would have to rip up the entire floor, then the tiles,adhesive,UFH and the laytex would have been ruined and wasted. No good just kicking him out as it is going to cost you a heap in materials.

You defiantly need to have words with him when he comes back and show him how bad it is.

I will speak with him in the morning and tell him -

a) 4 x tiles will need to be pulled up and replaced at his exspense (tiles & adhesive) even though the deal is that i supply materials

b) I will not require his services for the wall tiles

C) I will pay him the lump sum price for the FULL JOB (less replacement floor tiles & extra adhesive) as agreed if he fully rectifies my floor.

This is a huge comprimse on my account because the reality is i can't afford the time or MONEY (1K plus on tiles) to rip it all up and start again. Ironically i got this guy in on a recommendation from a very very good carpenter. Whats more frustrating is if you look at my old posts, i had problems laying my first tiles and decided to get someone in to do a better job but this work is no better and he has been doing it albeit badly for 20 yrs!

I don't doubt for a minute that you guys are good at what you do, but it doesnt seem very easy to find a tiler thats up to the standard expected.

Reaction score
I will speak with him in the morning and tell him -

a) 4 x tiles will need to be pulled up and replaced at his exspense (tiles & adhesive) even though the deal is that i supply materials

b) I will not require his services for the wall tiles

C) I will pay him the lump sum price for the FULL JOB (less replacement floor tiles & extra adhesive) as agreed if he fully rectifies my floor.

This is a huge comprimse on my account because the reality is i can't afford the time or MONEY (1K plus on tiles) to rip it all up and start again. Ironically i got this guy in on a recommendation from a very very good carpenter. Whats more frustrating is if you look at my old posts, i had problems laying my first tiles and decided to get someone in to do a better job but this work is no better and he has been doing it albeit badly for 20 yrs!

I don't doubt for a minute that you guys are good at what you do, but it doesnt seem very easy to find a tiler thats up to the standard expected.

Is this fair??

G

Gall.B

Take it this is the guy that wanted to use tubs on the walls I said case him then and im saying it now before he destroys more product.

Shame theres nobody local from the forum.

R

Rich

It does, could you answer my above post regarding floor prep. I dont want you to go through all that and then the floor fail in 3 months time anyway.

This is so horrid to see and it boils our blood that people like this are still trading. There are amazingly good tilers out there but they are outnumbered by these bloody idiots Im afraid.

Reply to Floor Has Tile Lippage, Wall Tiles Going Up In The Morning! Help Please! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen