Search the forum,

Discuss Fixing 10mm Marmox Boards in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

S

siremastimus

After reading through the forum have bought some 10mm Marmox Backer Boards, plastic Marmox washers, Marmox sealant and Mapei Keraquick to fix with.

I understand I also have to secure with screws and raw plugs. Can anyone recommend the best type of screw to avoid rust etc?

When fixing the boards do I dot and dab with the adhesive and fix, let dry and then screw or as I think I have read elsewhere should I fix the screws whilst the adhesive is still wet and fix the screws actually through the dots on the board or just space our at regular interavals (board is 1200 x 600)? Thanks

S

siremastimus

Looking at the Marmox website it says to drill five holes in board (one in each corner and one in middle), then dab adhesive over the holes and secure to wall, then once dry drill through the holes and adhesive for mechanical fixings - does this sound OK?

G

Gazebo

Yes that's the way to do it, just be sure to use stainless steels screws, I always put a few more holes/adhesives and screws in to be sure its stable, use a spf adhesive and take your time. I use the stainless steel washers rather than the plastic ones as they dont stand so proud of the board when fixed.

S

siremastimus

Ok thanks, have already bought the plastic washers but will bear that in mind next time - bought the mapei keraquick adhesive for the boards - seemed to be recommended on here

Reaction score
in my opinion and experience the 10mm board is too thin to dot and dab to a solid wall.

I would recommend a 20mm board as a minimum.

use 6 good size dabs per board over pre drilled locations

use sealer on the joints (tube)

use stainless screws and washers or spankers

tape all joints

S

siremastimus

I already have the 10mm board - what do people think is the best way then to secure this board to a solid wall? thanks

G

Gazebo

as spanish says in his opinion 10mm is too thin but Marmox say you can use 10mm thats why I said use some extra dabs of adhesive and more screws. make sure there is adhesive around the perimeter of each board, if the wall is good enough then you can practically tile the board to the wall with a thick bed of addy. then fix with screws....

Reply to Fixing 10mm Marmox Boards in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen