Discuss Expansion grout gap in the America area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Reaction score
Hi I’ve tiled my bathroom floor on top of hardie cement board. I have left expansion gaps all around the wall when I layed cement board. When I grout my floor tiles the grout is going to pour down all the edges into expansion gaps. Is this ok as the grout is flexible? Any help would be appreciated 👍🏻

Attachments

• IMG_0452.jpeg
    208.2 KB · Views: 15
Reaction score
How are you finishing the walls where it meets tiles ?
Thanks for the reply. Instead of wooden skirting board I’ll be meeting the floor tiles with a tile skirting. Either 80mm/300mm or 100mm/100mm and running a small bead of silicone where skirting tile meets floor tile.

Reaction score
Does anyone have any help at all 🤷🏻‍♂️
Technically you’re supposed to fill the expansion gap around the perimeter with silicone when you installed the cement boards. The silicone stops tile adhesive/grout from filling the gap.

It looks like you still have a gap large enough to silicone? If so, I would fill the gap with silicone first. Allow to cure. Then when you grout, ensure you’re only grouting up to the edge of the tiles rather than allowing lots of grout to get in to the corners. Remember, you have the thickness of your tiled skirting to cover the gap.

Hope that helps

Henry
Expert Tiling Courses UK

Reaction score
Technically you’re supposed to fill the expansion gap around the perimeter with silicone when you installed the cement boards. The silicone stops tile adhesive/grout from filling the gap.

It looks like you still have a gap large enough to silicone? If so, I would fill the gap with silicone first. Allow to cure. Then when you grout, ensure you’re only grouting up to the edge of the tiles rather than allowing lots of grout to get in to the corners. Remember, you have the thickness of your tiled skirting to cover the gap.

Hope that helps

Henry
Expert Tiling Courses UK
Thanks, yes still have the gap to get silicone into.

Dave

TF
Staff member
Arms
Esteemed
Reaction score
Just leave the gap empty, enough so the skirting tile covers the gap. Then you have room for expansion . If the gap was on view, then yes use silicone. Then silicone the skirting to floor joint.

Reaction score
Just leave the gap empty, enough so the skirting tile covers the gap. Then you have room for expansion . If the gap was on view, then yes use silicone. Then silicone the skirting to floor joint.
The thing is, the grout I’m using is supposed to be quite runny once mixed (Mapei Ultracolor Plus) but also sets very fast. I’m thinking after mixing it with the correct amount of water it will just run down the sides of the wall?

Reaction score
Could I line the cement boards with silicone then just grout on top of that up to the wall.

Or before grouting should I put a bit of wood down the side of floor thinner than the width of skirting tile and grout upto that. Once grout has started to harden remove wood and smooth of grout?

Would filling the grout right upto the wall cause problems if there’s any movement as it’s flexible grout.

Dave

TF
Staff member
Arms
Esteemed
Reaction score
The flexibility of the grout is more for deformation than lateral. If your happy to silicone first then do that. I was just saying it wasn’t a necessity or as you say put something temporary in

Reaction score
The flexibility of the grout is more for deformation than lateral. If your happy to silicone first then do that. I was just saying it wasn’t a necessity or as you say put something temporary in
I think I’ll leave the silicone, line thin bits of wood down the side. Grout right upto the wood and wait for grout to harden then take out wood. Just hope it doesn’t break up the grout at the edges.

Reply to Expansion grout gap in the America area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Apatel
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks