Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss How much should I worry about this? in the America area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Reaction score
I just set new porcelain 8 x 8 tile in my rear entryway (3 ft x 3 ft area). I love the results and wanted everything to be perfect and by the book. So, these two things are worrying me.

Worry #1: One of the tiles is touching a door frame in a couple of spots (see pic). The door frame is metal by the way (weird in a house, I know). There is at least a 1/8 inch gap elsewhere, and on two sides there is a good 1/2 inch that will be covered with baseboard. Is this tile going to pop off or crack in time, or is that not really a concern?

Worry #2: Where the tile meets the top of the stairs, it overhangs the Hardiebacker very slightly (see pic). Maybe 1/8" is unsupported along that last row of tile. There will be a wooden piece in from of that flush with the tile, so it would be impossible to stand just on that 1/8" bit that's sticking out, but I'm still worried it could chip or lossen. I was thinking maybe I should try to get a tile file and file off 1/8" all the way along, or maybe I should buy some expoxy putty and press it under there. If I did that, the epoxy would be resting on wood, and I wonder if that might cause other issues. Thoughts?

Thanks in advance for you're help with this.

Attachments

• IMG_3457.jpg
    353.7 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_3458.jpg
    346.7 KB · Views: 24
Reaction score
Thanks, so no room for expansion is okay as long as it's just in a few spots? Also, won't the grout just fall out in that last 1/8" that hangs over (using epoxy grout)?

Reply to How much should I worry about this? in the America area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
mcgtech
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks