Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss Expansion Gaps in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Reaction score
New to the forum – excellent information!
We have a large floor area tiled in a holiday home in Florida where there were some record temperatures last month.
The tiling was done when the house was new 21 years ago onto the concrete slab base of the house and looked an excellent job.

Two tiles were noticed with hairline cracks, which when we looked was actually four raised tiles, by about 1cm at the highest point.
The four tiles were removed and revealed that there is a diagonal expansion gap in the concrete, over which there was a paper strip which had detached from the slab.

The pictures are pretty self-explanatory. 18inch Tile and Grout gap is wide at about 5mm – those are 3/16th drill holes.

Talking to the friendly local neighbours they, and others, seem to have had similar problems over the years and seem to accept that ‘tiles crack’ -which says something about how relaxed the sun makes you! Being American they just have them replaced and then watch them crack again!

Now back in England I have been reading the forum info, and elsewhere, on expansion gaps required for tiles!
The area in question is something like 7 x6 metres with no expansion gaps.

The paper strip is presumably designed as an uncoupling membrane to allow the movement in the high temperatures they get, but I am guessing with extended periods of higher temperatures it just wasn’t adequate.

We do have some spares, so when we get back there again, I plan to replace with new paper strip (or similar) and put in a silicone expansion gap just in that small area,( since we don’t have enough to go right across the room)

So is there a silicone that looks like grout, rather than a smooth finish?
Could a very thin layer of grout be used to cover the silicone and disguise it, still allowing movement?
What’s wrong with my plan?

Thanks for reading.

Attachments

• Two Cracked Tles.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 33
  • Four Tiles Raised.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 34
  • Cracks Highlighted & Grout Drilled.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 34
  • Diagonal Paper Strip Showing Adhesion.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 34
  • Concrete Expansion Gap Showing Adhesion to Paper.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 36
  • Expansion gap showing paper track.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 32
J

J Sid

When you replace the tiles you will need to put an expansion joint in the tile at the same place as the screed.
You can use a colour match silicon and I believe there are company's that will do a matt finish. Other can give a link to these Companies

Reaction score
Thanks for that Julian, nice to know I am heading in the right direction. It's just a matter of getting a finish that doesn't leap out and be very obvious I guess.

Reaction score
That looks ideal- Their video says it dries to a matt finish so it shouldnt stand out as much as a gloss silicone.
- thanks for that Andreas

Reply to Expansion Gaps in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Apatel
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks