Discuss Dunlop Waterproofing Kit on Hardibacker in the America area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

D

DazJWood

I have bought the Dunlop Waterproofing Kit for my shower area (and if some is left over I may put some over bath).

My shower area is Hardibacker board on a stud wall, with a built in recess for shower gel and the like. I have a couple of questions that I hope someone can guide me on?

1) Should I use the included primer with Hardibacker or is it not required with this substrate?

2) Should I tape the joints with fibre mesh tape and tile adhesive (as stated in the Hardibacker literature), then use the Dunlop tape to go over the joints again and then tank? Or is all that is needed is the tanking tape?

3) I will be fixing travertine. Do these tanking kits have weight restrictions?

Thanks,

Daz

M

mikethetile

to be honest I wouldnt tank the backerboards but I would tape and tank the corners

M

mikethetile

the boards wont break down when wet which is the main cause of failure in shower enclosures, the backer board is an ideal surface to tile too

D

DazJWood

the boards wont break down when wet which is the main cause of failure in shower enclosures, the backer board is an ideal surface to tile too

Oh right! All the research I've been doing seems to suggest that these boards should be tanked as well to prevent moisture and water pentrating through the boards and into the stud walls. Is the tanking really not necessary?

I've weighed my tiles and they work out at 30.625 Kg per m2. I contacted Dunlop and they say that their tanking solution only supports a maximum of 32Kg per m2 (similar to BAL's WP1). This suggests that with adhesive and grout then my maximum total would be around 33.625Kg per m2. This is over their maximum. Have I now got the wrong tanking solution and what tanking solution does support this weight?

S

simon1

Hardie will still let water pass through even though it does not break down

i always tank backer board and aqua panel

modified cement faced boards only need joints sealed

D

DazJWood

Sorry that came across a bit blunt.

I should have said that yeh I thought you should tank.

Any ideas about the weight issue? Perhaps I should revert back to the Homelux though they ignored two emails asking about weight restrictions. Though their literature has pictures of their matting with travertine over the top.

What do you guys think?

G

Gazzer

As far as I am aware systems such as dural wp membrane has the same weight limits as the substrate. Wetdec would be the one to ask I guess or Dural themself.

D

DazJWood

As far as I am aware systems such as dural wp membrane has the same weight limits as the substrate. Wetdec would be the one to ask I guess or Dural themself.

Great thanks. Can anyone confirm the weight limits for the membrane type of tanking?

Thanks,

Daz

Reply to Dunlop Waterproofing Kit on Hardibacker in the America area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Apatel
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks