Search the forum,

Discuss Dunlop Waterproofing Kit on Hardibacker in the America Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com.

D

DazJWood

Nope it doesn't say skimmed. Why would I want to skim Hardibacker board?

Anyone any advice (factual and from experience if possible :smilewinkgrin:)

M

mikethetile

I think the problem is Daz, you are asking for an answer where there isnt one

im not bothered what others say, I now know you dont tank hardie with the tanking material you are using as it wont carry the weight of the tiles

what I suggest you do is change tack and use kerdi board as this will carry the weight of the porcelain tiles, it has a waterproof membrane built in so only the corners need taping

you cant expect materials to perform outside their design capabilities and need to look for materials that are suitable for the job in hand

D

DazJWood

I think the problem is Daz, you are asking for an answer where there isnt one

im not bothered what others say, I now know you dont tank hardie with the tanking material you are using as it wont carry the weight of the tiles

what I suggest you do is change tack and use kerdi board as this will carry the weight of the porcelain tiles, it has a waterproof membrane built in so only the corners need taping

you cant expect materials to perform outside their design capabilities and need to look for materials that are suitable for the job in hand

Thanks for the advice.

The Dunlop kit would be slightly over their maximum weight guideline so I'll give up on that idea and take it back to Screwfix.

The Homelux membrane though may still be an option. I just can't seem to get confirmation of the weight limits. There is nothing in their literature and they don't reply to any emails. I would guess that it should be ok though because all the photos in their leaflet are examples of travertine tiles fixed to the Homelux.

Surely someone on here must have either used the Homelux membrane with travertine or used an equivalent matting?

Thanks,

Daz

M

mikethetile

theres no reason why homelux wont take the weight as you are bonding through the matting onto the substrate, hardie backer will take the weight its only the paint on tanking that was a weak point

Reply to Dunlop Waterproofing Kit on Hardibacker in the America Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen