Search the forum,

Discuss Dot & Dab travertine? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

F

Fekin

There is nothing wrong with dabbing the wall tiles so long as its a cement based adhesive.

Fixing heavy tiles with dabs here n there is skimping on materials and more importantly safety.

From the photo you posted it looks like there is at least 75% coverage on the tile and thats good enough.

If the tiles had been fixed propperly, the whole back of the tile would have still been covered with ribbed adhesive when pulled from the wall and adhesive should still also be on the wall showing the adhesive had a propper mechanical grip to both tile and wall, and the only way the tile comes away is to rip the adhesive in two.
The tiles spanky took off came away with no effort, and near enough zero adhesive had a mechanical grip to the wall as the splodges were only on the tile.

Alot of whats been said on this post is inexperience.

I have read the entire thread and everyone is in agreement that the tiles should not be dabbed on and with the reasons why it shouldn't be done, and the views posted are not inexperianced either, far from it Grumpy, the experiance of the members of this forum is colossal and we don't recommend sloppy workmanship.

For those people who have been tiling long enough will remember bal used to sell tools a few years ago and one trowel they had in the range was a 50% coverage.

Do they still sell them though ? and as time goes by, the market changes and tile formats keep on getting bigger and heavier meaning you need better mechanical grip to fix them.

Also the trowel method of fixing is big here in the uk and some other countries but many mediterainian countries dab tiles. do yourself a favour and speak to an architect for the correct imformation.

How about speaking to the adhesive manufacturers, after all, they make the products and see if they recommend you use their product in this manner and I'd bet anything they would say the same as we have all said here, apart from you Grumpy :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
S

spanky

I thought the same, but I do not think the Tiler has any knowledge of this site, and he registered in Novenber....

S

spanky

We have just phoned the manufacturer, we are waiting for a call back from their Technical department.

The tiler is not here yet. Due any minute though.

F

Fekin

?????????????????????????????

I may be inexperienced but I dont think you'll find the likes of Dave and Fekin are..........better apologise to them now.

No need to apologise :lol:, and Daves experiance far far out weighs mine as I have not been fixing for anywhere as long as Dave, but I do make sure I use the correct methods and not sloppy tactics.

S

spanky

1st Adhesive manufacturer said it a big NO. The also said it is against British Standards.

What that actually means I have no idea.

F

Fekin

British standards is a code of practice that all tilers should really follow.

It states how everything should be done propperly and safely from start to finish, something that grumpy dosen't seem to bother with in this case.

G

grumpy

Spanky i can tell you now before you get into a huge wrangle with this tiler, if you end up in court on the issue of dabbing tiles you will without a shadow of doubt loose the case.Replies from an internet forum hold no water in court.
Get the correct advise from the adhesive manufacturer and an architect and go from there.
Using the reply from this thread against your tiler is money in the bank to him.

F

Fekin

Spanky i can tell you now before you get into a huge wrangle with this tiler, if you end up in court on the issue of dabbing tiles you will without a shadow of doubt loose the case.Replies from an internet forum hold no water in court.
Get the correct advise from the adhesive manufacturer and an architect and go from there.
Using the reply from this thread against your tiler is money in the bank to him.

He's already been told by one adhesive manufacturer that dabbing is a big NO.
Even if this went to court, the method the tiler is using is against british standards so he wouldn't have a leg to stand on.

:huh2:

Reply to Dot & Dab travertine? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

10 Tiling Tips for Fixing Tiles to Bathroom Walls = From UKTilingForum.co.uk There are a few...
Replies
Views
Hello, I'm just a home owner who doesn't have much experience with tiling but I'm looking for...
Replies
Views
Further to my other post re our hollow tiles issue It looks like our tiler has dot and dabbed...
Replies
Views
Hi All - I am searching for Todagres Aral Beige Pulido tile (large format - 32"x32"/ 120cm x...
Replies
Views
Landsteph
L
Hi all, I've laid some Arditex NA over the kitchen floor area (not under cabinets. The area is...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen