Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss Do I Need To Seal Wet Room Grout? in the Adhesive and Grout area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

A

AJH

I've had a wet room professionally tiled, it's all been grouted.
Is it necessary to seal the grout in the shower area? Also is it necessary to put a silicon bead between the slate floor and the ceramic wall tiles?
Thanks

A

AJH

Hi, yes it was tanked. I'll ask the tiler to put silicon beads in the corners although I guess it needs to be done very neatly to look good?

O

On one

If I was doing it I would seal the grout as part of the process of..........
Clean the slate/seal the slate/grout the slate/.........and seal the slate and grout again.
The silicone bead???......for me it's.......leave the internal corners ungrouted,apply a silicone sealant(the same colour as your grout) in to the joint. The joints are best ungrouted so that the silicone gets into the joint and doesn't just sit on the surface of the grout.......well that's how I would do it.

A

AJH

Clean the slate/seal the slate/grout the slate/.........and seal the slate and grout again.
The silicone bead???......for me it's.......leave the internal corners ungrouted,apply a silicone sealant(the same colour as your grout) in to the joint. The joints are best ungrouted so that the silicone gets into the joint and doesn't just sit on the surface of the grout.......well that's how I would do it.

That makes good sense

A

AJH

The only problem I find when using using clear silicone is that after a year or two the clear goes opaque/smoky and you can see mould growth building up behind the clear silicone
Yes I know what you mean, silicon is best not seen, I might just ask the tiler to seal the grout or do what you said and put it in the gaps between the tiles

Lithofin BOB

TF
Esteemed
Reaction score
Sealing the grout can be part of the installation of the natural stone/ slate as above ,with the ceramic wall , sealing these grout areas can ease maintenance giving full water and oil reppelance to the cementisiouse grout,

M

MW Smith Ceramics

I'm with wrighty on this one......exactly the same method as that!

M

MW Smith Ceramics

I've had a wet room professionally tiled, it's all been grouted.
Is it necessary to seal the grout in the shower area? Also is it necessary to put a silicon bead between the slate floor and the ceramic wall tiles?
Thanks

I would seal the grout with LTP grout protector aerosol, and purchase some LTP mouldex and LTP wax wash to maintain especially in a wet room & if it's stone as these products won't affect any impregnating/surface sealers........

If you seal the grout then the dirt that would usually get in through moisture won't penetrate into the grout and will be washed away when you maintain and then just reseal the grout every so often........if you keep this process up use a good quality grout like Mapei ultracolour the grout will stay looking good for many years to come.......oh and it's worth investing in an LTP claw brush for cleaning your joints.........all of these items can be purchased on the website as follows......

ltp-online.co.uk

S

scotmk

The only problem I find when using using clear silicone is that after a year or two the clear goes opaque/smoky and you can see mould growth building up behind the clear silicone

It does not if you use a proper clear bathroom one, mould and colour fast. Corning 785 is the best.

F

Flintstone

I would seal the grout with LTP grout protector aerosol, and purchase some LTP mouldex and LTP wax wash to maintain especially in a wet room & if it's stone as these products won't affect any impregnating/surface sealers........

If you seal the grout then the dirt that would usually get in through moisture won't penetrate into the grout and will be washed away when you maintain and then just reseal the grout every so often........if you keep this process up use a good quality grout like Mapei ultracolour the grout will stay looking good for many years to come.......oh and it's worth investing in an LTP claw brush for cleaning your joints.........all of these items can be purchased on the website as follows......

ltp-online.co.uk

Are you on comision ?

Reply to Do I Need To Seal Wet Room Grout? in the Adhesive and Grout area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
laattaana
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks