Search the forum,

Discuss Do I Need To Seal Wet Room Grout? in the Tile Adhesive / Grout Advice area at TilersForums.com.

A

AJH

I've had a wet room professionally tiled, it's all been grouted.
Is it necessary to seal the grout in the shower area? Also is it necessary to put a silicon bead between the slate floor and the ceramic wall tiles?
Thanks

A

AJH

Hi, yes it was tanked. I'll ask the tiler to put silicon beads in the corners although I guess it needs to be done very neatly to look good?

O

On one

If I was doing it I would seal the grout as part of the process of..........
Clean the slate/seal the slate/grout the slate/.........and seal the slate and grout again.
The silicone bead???......for me it's.......leave the internal corners ungrouted,apply a silicone sealant(the same colour as your grout) in to the joint. The joints are best ungrouted so that the silicone gets into the joint and doesn't just sit on the surface of the grout.......well that's how I would do it.

A

AJH

If I was doing it I would seal the grout as part of the process of..........
Clean the slate/seal the slate/grout the slate/.........and seal the slate and grout again.
The silicone bead???......for me it's.......leave the internal corners ungrouted,apply a silicone sealant(the same colour as your grout) in to the joint. The joints are best ungrouted so that the silicone gets into the joint and doesn't just sit on the surface of the grout.......well that's how I would do it.

That makes good sense

A

AJH

The only problem I find when using using clear silicone is that after a year or two the clear goes opaque/smoky and you can see mould growth building up behind the clear silicone
Yes I know what you mean, silicon is best not seen, I might just ask the tiler to seal the grout or do what you said and put it in the gaps between the tiles

Lithofin BOB

TF
Esteemed
Reaction score
Sealing the grout can be part of the installation of the natural stone/ slate as above ,with the ceramic wall , sealing these grout areas can ease maintenance giving full water and oil reppelance to the cementisiouse grout,

Reply to Do I Need To Seal Wet Room Grout? in the Tile Adhesive / Grout Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
10 Tiling Tips for Fixing Tiles to Bathroom Walls = From UKTilingForum.co.uk There are a few...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen