Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss Cutting Quarry Tiles in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I am about to embark on retiling an outside passage at my home. I am going to use Wickes quarry tiles (mainly because they are cheap and I am tight). I will have to cut both sides of the passage to fit them in as I am setting out working from the centre outwards so it looks even when finished.

It means quite a lot of tile cuts. I normally use my 4" angle grinder to cut half way through and then break the tile. Other than buying a table cutter (Can't justify the price) is there an easier way to cut these sort of tiles.

G

Gazzer

I used to cut them with a small chisel and hammer but most manual cutters wil do it.

D

DHTiling

A hand scribe and pin hammer will work.....Scribe the face of the tile and tap on the back of the tile with the pin hammer on the score line...

Make sure score lines is in the same direction as any ribs on the back of the tile.

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies so far. I will have a go at scribing and using a small chisel.

No Gooner it is not a shared passage otherwise I would probably have done as you suggest. I might even have just tiled my half :lol:.

I have just started taking the old tiles up and they are all coming up perfectly clean so I will use a few of them to practice on and then reuse to good ones. They are fortunately the same as the new ones I am getting.

I forgot till the Mrs reminded me a few minutes ago:mad2: I have a manual cutter I bought years ago to do my bathroom. Will dig it out and have a go with that but I think the tiles will be too hard for that.

If it turns out ok I might even post some pics. If not I'll put a rug over it.....:lol:

S

Sean fsy

go and hire a suitable heavy duty manual splitter cutter, im sure the cost of it will outway the cost of the ones you waste, speculate to accumulate.

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
go and hire a suitable heavy duty manual splitter cutter, im sure the cost of it will outway the cost of the ones you waste, speculate to accumulate.

Where would I hire such an implement...and do you have any idea of the cost - ball park figure close enough.

D

dagger

Cheers Dagger - Cheap as chips - might well go and get one later in the week...
check the link again, i think you have to order online..next day delivery!

its not going to cut them quick, but take your time you will make a neat job of it!

and for £35, like i said throw it out, or keep it for the car boot sale!

good luck!

T

tfs

Hey mate,

If the side of the tiles are not seen, it helps to chip away the bottom half of the tiles side just under the scribe line using the pin of the hammer then gently tap the back side of the tile beneath the scribe line. This is how I was taught to cut them.

T

tfs

Hope the pic helps

Attachments

• quarry tile1234.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 49
T

tfs

Thanks for the replies so far. I will have a go at scribing and using a small chisel.

No Gooner it is not a shared passage otherwise I would probably have done as you suggest. I might even have just tiled my half :lol:.

I have just started taking the old tiles up and they are all coming up perfectly clean so I will use a few of them to practice on and then reuse to good ones. They are fortunately the same as the new ones I am getting.

I forgot till the Mrs reminded me a few minutes ago:mad2: I have a manual cutter I bought years ago to do my bathroom. Will dig it out and have a go with that but I think the tiles will be too hard for that.

If it turns out ok I might even post some pics. If not I'll put a rug over it.....:lol:

I think I used the big clinker to cut quarry tiles once! you may need to go over with the scoring wheel twice though

Reply to Cutting Quarry Tiles in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
laattaana
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks