Search the forum,

Discuss Cutting Quarry Tiles in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I am about to embark on retiling an outside passage at my home. I am going to use Wickes quarry tiles (mainly because they are cheap and I am tight). I will have to cut both sides of the passage to fit them in as I am setting out working from the centre outwards so it looks even when finished.

It means quite a lot of tile cuts. I normally use my 4" angle grinder to cut half way through and then break the tile. Other than buying a table cutter (Can't justify the price) is there an easier way to cut these sort of tiles.

G

Gazzer

I used to cut them with a small chisel and hammer but most manual cutters wil do it.

D

DHTiling

A hand scribe and pin hammer will work.....Scribe the face of the tile and tap on the back of the tile with the pin hammer on the score line...

Make sure score lines is in the same direction as any ribs on the back of the tile.

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies so far. I will have a go at scribing and using a small chisel.

No Gooner it is not a shared passage otherwise I would probably have done as you suggest. I might even have just tiled my half :lol:.

I have just started taking the old tiles up and they are all coming up perfectly clean so I will use a few of them to practice on and then reuse to good ones. They are fortunately the same as the new ones I am getting.

I forgot till the Mrs reminded me a few minutes ago:mad2: I have a manual cutter I bought years ago to do my bathroom. Will dig it out and have a go with that but I think the tiles will be too hard for that.

If it turns out ok I might even post some pics. If not I'll put a rug over it.....:lol:

S

Sean fsy

go and hire a suitable heavy duty manual splitter cutter, im sure the cost of it will outway the cost of the ones you waste, speculate to accumulate.

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
go and hire a suitable heavy duty manual splitter cutter, im sure the cost of it will outway the cost of the ones you waste, speculate to accumulate.

Where would I hire such an implement...and do you have any idea of the cost - ball park figure close enough.

Reply to Cutting Quarry Tiles in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
  • Poll
Hi, I have a small en-suite 1200 x 2400, with a 1200 x 900mm linear drain tray which will have...
Replies
Views
10 Tiling Tips for Fixing Tiles to Bathroom Walls = From UKTilingForum.co.uk There are a few...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen