Discuss Cementitious open time Test in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

J

Julian 'Farmer' Bonsall

Came across this while looking for something else. I hadn't entirely appreciated the state of cure effect on tile coverage.

F

Flintstone

Julian, your posting a fair bit of late, why not introduce yourself and tell us a bit about you and what you are on with!

Open time - I’m so super cautious with open time I leave it no longer than a couple of mins usually.

Q

Qwerty

I must say I do like a good test!!!!...... but that was by far the worst test I have seen in a long time! It started off badly with the use of a food whisk, followed by spreading adhesive on the back of a ceramic tile. That tile would suck the moisture out of a pile of sand let alone tile adhesive. Not a good test I'm afraid and certainly not one that any reputable tile adhesive manufacturer would use

T

Timeless Tiling

I was looking some advice on how lono before grouting I'm hearing 24 hours and also hearing you can do it after 3 to 4 hours could someone advise me please thanks

Q

Qwerty

If you want another giggle, check out the video that same indian company has on marble fixing. All I will say is you've all been doing it wrong!!!....

J

Julian 'Farmer' Bonsall

Well it would appear not enough work if Im posting to much :)

Have a father who is in need of a hip replacement and is struggling to manage the farm. We also have one of the farm dogs injured ( a working dog as we have some beef animals) with a broken leg so that's problematic. I enjoy tractors far more than animals.
I recently did some tiling in the kitchen of one of my sisters.
Im busy at home trying to build another shed as the workshop wasnt big enough, garage is going to make way for an extension (polished concrete - another story). I enjoy doing small jobs for others and trying to learn along the way.
We have a house we let which takes a bit of maintenance (that needs some tile work in the near future) and one of the guys that rents an engineering unit wanted help with his bathroom (that's where the questions about hardibacker for a shower enclosure came from).
Im currently doing another doctorate which kind of keeps me sane and I spent some time playing with grouting systems for large structures (a little like large radio telescopes) mainly with BASF and concrete systems for similar structures.

When I was much younger I worked in a branch of Topps (no laughs please it was a good job) helping out and also worked for someone fitting bathrooms/kitchens to help save and pay for Uni but wires and machinery were more my thing. Farming became complicated and diverse.

I am having a period of attempting to reduce working hours so sometime spent playing in the man shed is welcome and an aid to health, reducing stress and more away from Directing, staff and HMRC VAT and all that stuff.

I miss being able to ask and watch someone that is skilled in this trade and rely a lot on the help from people here - you tube is interesting but being untrained I have more questions than I know where to start. I've never worked with a proper tiler and probably will never have a proper clue what I am doing.

O

Old Mod

I spent some time playing with grouting systems for large structures (a little like large radio telescopes) mainly with BASF and concrete systems for similar structures.

Interesting......,

Does this mean you can you could explain the chemical reaction between Portland cement and aluminium?

T

Timeless Tiling

I hear sometimes tilers grout walls straight after finishing the tiles is this wrong are you better to come back the next day

J

Julian 'Farmer' Bonsall

Interesting......,

I also currently trying to learn how to braid paracord and make shock cord splices and having as much look as sanding tiles

Does this mean you can you could explain the chemical reaction between Portland cement and aluminium?
That sounds a question for a Concrete technologist. I have some knowledge but remember in struggling with a small disc and a slab of clay at the moment

From the manual.
Concrete shall not come in contact with any
aluminum during conveying and placing
operations.

Not sure what you want to know but I thought this may be helpful.

Aluminum Frames in Masonry Walls - http://www.cement.org/learn/materials-applications/masonry/masonry-construction/aluminum-frames-in-masonry-walls

Screenshot_20180408-122207_Drive.jpg

Reply to Cementitious open time Test in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawz84
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks