Discuss Anyway to trim a tile on floor in the America area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Reaction score
Hi, 1st time tiling, decided our ensuite would benefit from being a wetroom. Quick question, any way to trim a tile back slightly that's on the floor where the drain is meeting, image attached and highlighted.

I've tried using a 60 grit diamond sanding pad but have a feeling I could be there for days. Would a Dremel tool work? Or is there anything else anyone would recommend to keep flush. Would prefer not to to use a grinder as it's tightly confined area with other tiles and the grate holder/base.

Any help appreciated. Just looking for more of a uniform space around the grate.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231010_195241_Gallery.jpg
    200.9 KB · Views: 38
  • 20231010_193755.jpg
    222.6 KB · Views: 33

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
That's a tight one. You would need to use an angle grinder with a good blade on it. I would perhaps use a block of wood to protect your chrome edging while you do it. Would help if there were two people, one holding their weight on the wooden block, one using angle grinder to carefully trim the edging of the tile.

The tiles would need to be vitrified (colour goes all the way through the tile) rather than biscuit and glaze.
It''s hard to tell from the pictures what type of tile they are.

Reaction score
If you weren’t happy why did you stick it down?
If you have a multitool with a thin decent blade you should manage it.
However quite high risk, I’d just grout it in now , it won’t look as bad as you fear.

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice guys. The kerraquick s1 rapid set was a little to rapid for me. I'd dry fitted/cut all the tiles and slightly misjudge the envelope cuts positioning when bedding down, by the time I'd noticed it was too late. The former grid/gully can easily be removed if the tile is to be trimmed. Bengee when you say a multitool are you referring to a Dremel tool with diamond blades, this sounds alot more manageable than a grinder. I'm still undecided if I'll trim this and may just silicone and see how it looks as you mentioned. Switched to a slow set s1 adhesive for the walls and it made things alot smoother to work with. Could I also ask if it's recommended to seal porcelain tiles before grouting with kerapoxy to make cleaning easier, prevent it's absorbtion into the tile? The tiles are marketed as semi gloss and I can't see a mention of polished or glazed on the datasheet. They're Porcelanosa's silver image 80x40. I couldn't imagine a sealer will hurt either way? But as before any advice much appreciated again.

Reaction score
No not a dremel, my multitool is the original Fein Multimaster but now there are a myriad of copies. The point is this tool is not rotary like s grinder or dremel.
Not usual to seal porcelain so I doubt it’s necessary, however the manufacturer is the only source you should trust for that information- certainly not a random bloke on a forum.

Reaction score
Thanks guys I went with Ben-gee's advice and left as is, although I have a cordless multitool. Quite pleased with the end result and the spacing on the grid isn't noticeable or eye catching.
Next is bathroom, kitchen and hall, could soon be asking for more correctional advice :)

Attachments

• Ensuite.jpg
    180.6 KB · Views: 20
Reaction score
it looks to me like u need to equalise all the envelope cuts to the widest well in a nutshell...its a miss...i live nearer...1mm turbo...steady hand and 3 hail marys

Reply to Anyway to trim a tile on floor in the America area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Apatel
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks