Search the forum,

Discuss Bathroom Floor, Ply and/or Cement boards in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

kilty55

TF
Arms
Reaction score
hi jmc,this is not the way to go i would advise your friend of this.

platerboard takes a weight of 32 k per sq m 2 layrs of tiles will no doubt alreadfy exceed that and adding wetwall will do this again.....always best to strip the room and install a fresh

J

jmc1234

Thanks Kilty, if he wont listen I will ask if I can tile the floor before he fits the walls :lol:

J

jmc1234

Can the wetwall be fixed directly to the timber frame or would you recommend putting up cement boards/new plaster board first?
With the bare exterior walls would there be any benift of fixing 6 mm cement boards prior to the wetwall for insulation? If so would you fix it with adhesive or dot and dab with pink grip or the likes? Any recommendations welcome as it's a mate so don't wont to see him given duff info by this other guy. Thanks

kilty55

TF
Arms
Reaction score
wetwall is fitted with an adhesive suited to whatever make it is...fix plasterboard imo dont just stick it to a timber frame

J

jmc1234

A little more help needed..........

When fixing the cement board to the ply do i just use adhesive should it be screwd down as well.

Does the decoupling mat go between the ply and cement board or the cement board and the tile?

Plumber wants to fix shower base directly onto the ply and has asked me not to fix cement backer board where the shower tray is going...is this correct?

M

Mike

you should also screw the cement boards down, every 150mm.
the decoupling mat will go on top of the cement boards.
the shower base will be okay on the ply provided the ply is fixed solid and that you don't have any height issues regarding the tiles being close to the top of the tray

Reply to Bathroom Floor, Ply and/or Cement boards in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
Hello there, Relatively recently we had a new en-suite fitted (complete rip out of the old...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen