Discuss Bal or tilemaster ??quartz in the Adhesive and Grout area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

O

One Day

How many single part s2's have you removed from said substrates then. Just so we have a decent field of example

Just realised i didn't answer the question!
Only 3 - TM ultimate / BAL fastflex and Mapei S2 ultraflex

H

hmtiling

Only 3 - TM ultimate / BAL fastflex and Mapei S2 ultraflex[/QUOTE]
You've used those 3 on which substrates? And have you had need to remove any tiles or just guessing at bond strength and adhesion?

H

hmtiling

I did a test just this week on Porcelanosa's air slate, (didn't like the supplied epoxy grout for fixing) along with some steel sheet and the Ultimate had the best bond on both.
Not as flexible but definitely keyed into each better.
As for fibreglass, I only used it once on a pond siding/waterfall feature but again, the bond was brilliant.
I think I'd prefer fastflex on a timber floor because I know it deforms well though.

Why do you say not suitable and what's your experience?
It's just the water content. Tilemaster put a post in here a while back stating they've had many successful installations but no guarantee. Why wouldn't you use a 2 part?

O

One Day

Just to recap here @impish, you've used 3 s2's and tm's ultimate is in 3rd?o_O

Depends what you want or expect from an S2 I guess.
For me, it's problematic substrates such as fibreglass/resin on the Air slate. I know S2 to most people means bendy/flexible though, so in that regard Ultimate isn't in the lead.
I wasn't defending it's use for man-made quartz - I agree the water content would be a factor.
It's years since I fixed the stuff but I used old Fast-flex 2 part and more lately BAL PTB with no issues.

I just hooked onto the bit where you said it's one of the worst S2 you've used and tried to offer another opinion is all :)

So for me, I have a problematic substrate and think "S2" and Ultimate will likely be my first choice these days.
If I want the flexibility though, then it's BAL fastflex.

H

hmtiling

For me, it's problematic substrates such as fibreglass/resin on the Air slate. I know S2 to most people means bendy/flexible though, so in that regard Ultimate isn't in the lead.
I wasn't defending it's use for man-made quartz - I agree the water content would be a factor.
It's years since I fixed the stuff but I used old Fast-flex 2 part and more lately BAL PTB with no issues.

I just hooked onto the bit where you said it's one of the worst S2 you've used and tried to offer another opinion is all :)

So for me, I have a problematic substrate and think "S2" and Ultimate will likely be my first choice these days.
I find it a terrible adhesive to use and trowel. I don't see how you can back it when you've not tried many others. I honestly think you just like being argumentative.

You need to try more adhesives. Isomat megarapid would be my first choice followed by numerous others and ultimate as a last resort. I find it the most water sensitive out of all I've tried and very, very quick. I'm sure Ray loves it as he has a massive trowel :rolleyes:

F

Flintstone

I’ve not used many s2s, I try and avoid the need like the plague, probably only fast flex in all forms and also ultimate, I find ultimate terrible to use! Fastflex, yes it’s like spreading rubber on but I’ve lifted floors that were tiled with fast flex and it’s nearly always been weak and crumbing so I’m not convinced of it’s longevity.

W

Waluigi

Isn’t Fastflex a single part now?
Not that it’s relevant. I assumed that was why Topps recommended it shouldn’t be used on Quartz as per the information sheet I posted before.

H

hmtiling

I’ve not used many s2s, I try and avoid the need like the plague, probably only fast flex in all forms and also ultimate, I find ultimate terrible to use! Fastflex, yes it’s like spreading rubber on but I’ve lifted floors that were tiled with fast flex and it’s nearly always been weak and crumbing so I’m not convinced of it’s longevity.
If ever needed isomat megarapid is the way forward. Nowhere near as fast as others and actually trowels nicely. Rocatex s2 is pretty good too.

H

hmtiling

Isn’t Fastflex a single part now?
Not that it’s relevant. I assumed that was why Topps recommended it shouldn’t be used on Quartz as per the information sheet I posted before.
They specced ad1 admix with something or other last time I enquired

J

Just Rizzle

must admit ultimate takes a bit of getting used to but i find it an excellent adhesive and will be using it to lay a 150mtrs of 800 x 800 12mm porcelain after first leveling the floor with 80 bags tilemasters 25 kg fibre screed and i will be using my Massive trowels:tonguewink:

H

hmtiling

must admit ultimate takes a bit of getting used to but i find it an excellent adhesive and will be using it to lay a 150mtrs of 800 x 800 12mm porcelain after first leveling the floor with 80 bags tilemasters 25 kg fibre screed and i will be using my Massive trowels:tonguewink:
What's the substrate Ray?

Reply to Bal or tilemaster ??quartz in the Adhesive and Grout area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawz84
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks